Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

great weather but can't go out

Hi.. I was diagnosed with pnd a couple of weeks ago and I've been taking anti-ds.... I've started getting panic attacks (including a really bad one during the night last night) - is that normal?? :\?
Its a beautiful day today and I just can't face going out of the house, which is making me feel really guilty because I should be taking my 2 los out and about. I need to go out and do shopping and pay bills but the thought of going into town makes me panic. Has anyone got any advice please. I'm worried I'm getting worse. Thank you x

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, how long are you on the meds? it takes them a few weeks to kick in. Dont worry about not going out, that is one of the main problems with PND, it makes you want to stay inside and hide so to speak. I would go back to your gp and tell him about your panic attacks and tell him how bad they are, you might be better to be sure as you might need diffarent tablets. x
  • Options
    I was similar and got really panicky about going out and put off everything unless I had to. I started to go out with someone else though and it helped alot. Oh's been off last 2 weeks so yest and today felt quite worked up about being on my own again.
  • Options
    Hi, I have had PND for 7 months now and recently have been struggling with going out. I have suddenly started to become paranoid. I have put on around 1 1/2 stone with the PND and I am paranoid that people are laughing at me. I worry so much that I end up getting really hot and red in the face then i start to sweat badly on my face. I went out today with my Mum and was fine, it only happens when I am on my own. I am on fluoxetine.
  • Options
    i know how you feel. was so ill with pnd after my first lo that ended up in hospital for 6 weeks. will take a little while for the meds to kick in, but you need to try & be tough with yourself & do a little at a time. if you can't go out, make yourself sit on the doorstep-do this a few times, then gradually try a bit further. when you push yourself & manage it, the sense of achievement makes you want to do more. it is hard going, but you'll get there. your babe won't mind what you do aslong as you're together so don't worry. give it time & you'll get there x x x x x
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - I've put on loads of weight too and it has affected my confidence - I'm also taking fluoxetine and have been for 2 weeks.. I know they take a time to kick in but I didn't even think about getting worse before they start to work! I did manage to go out for a bit today but not for long.
    hanks again - although I wouldn't want anyone to go through this it is good to know I'm not alone and I'm not going mad. x
  • Options
    I must agree with Emalenna, you wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it's good to know that you're not the only one. I have found that the girls on this site have been really helpful.
  • Options
    i think if your started having panic attacks since you started your meds then you should tell your gp
    **big hugs**
    how old are your l/o's btw?
  • Options
    I'm seeing the doc tomorrow so I'll tell her then..... as for my los 1 is almost 5 months old, 1 will be 3 next month and a not so little one who is 16 and is about to start his GCSEs - eek! x
  • Options
    Hi Emalenna,

Sorry to hear you're feeling like this, I know exactly how you're feeling as I have been suffering with really bad panic attacks and wasn't able to face going out. On my doctors advice I started by going out with somebody else with me who I trusted ( I was worried that if I had a panic attack what would happen to Oscar if I passed out!) and only going 5 mins up the road and back and repeating this each day until I felt confident enough to go abit further. I started doing this a couple of weeks ago and found it really hard at first and had to really force myself to do it and to keep doing it, I'm so glad I did as I'm now managing to go out for a 20 min walk by myself each day and I feel so much better for it. I still do find it really hard and can't manage town or the shops without my partner with me, but its about taking baby steps and building up your confidence, its going to take time but it'll happen. ( I never thought I'd be able to say that!) I'm also taking citalopram which I'm sure is taking the edge off the anxiety and I'm on a waiting list for cbt.
    Hope some of this helps, good luck at the docs and let us know how you get on,

Jen x x
  • Options
    Thanks Jen - the doc said much the same to me - I've got to go out every day for a walk for 15 min - 7.5 min then turn around and come back again. She also changed my anti-ds as she thought they could be causing my panic attacks and so far I haven't had another one (though I haven't managed to make it out either as lo has been ill). I'm now taking sertraline. My hv is coming round this week to see me and I've got another docs appointment next week so I'm being 'looked after'. Really pleased you're getting better.
    Em x
  • Options
    Hi Em

Jen's advice is spot on. Did the doc give you some breathing excerises to do to calm down your breathing when out to help you cope with the panicky feelings? if not I can try and email you some hun. Hoppe Bryn is feeling better soon.

Jillycat
  • Options
    Hi Jillycat - no, doc didn't give me any breathing exercises - be great if you could email me some - thank you. Are you ok? x
  • Options
    yup I am ok if a little frazzled as Marcus had his 4 months Injections on Friday and has been upset and grizzly since. I saw your name with this thread on the home page so popped in to this link to see how you were. Will try to email you the breathing exercises today.

Jillycat x
  • Options
    Thank you - Hope Marcus is feeling better soon... Is it hot where you are? Its boiling here and I don't think thats helping Bryn at all.

Take care x