Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

diagnosed today :(

just thought i would pop my head in and say hello!

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get through this without having to use anti-depressants?

feel like i just need to de-stress image im usually such a happy bubbly person and this is really getting me down!

Replies

• Options
    Following diagnosis at 12 weeks I tried for a couple of months to self-manage (under watchful eye of GP!!) and tried exercise, good diet, vitamin B tablets and getting enough sleep. After 2 months mu symptoms weren't really improving and I took medication and did a computer based CBT course. The difference with the medication was amazing and got me over the 'hump'. If self-management doesn't work don't be reluctant to take the medication - it was the best thing I did and after 6 months I was able to wean myself off it and another year down the line I am contemplating another baby!

• Options
    vitamin b tablets?

i failed to mention my daughter is now 6months old and my PND was diganosed at 5 1/2 months, i thought i was doing fine up until i was just feeling really down, snapping at people, thinking alot about my close ones dying and my husband told me i had changed image

if needs be i will be taking medication, but as i am still breastfeeding i would just like to try and self manage it.

thank you for your reply pnebairn image xx
  • Options

I don't know the in's and out's but apparently vitamin B is required for the neurotransmitters/serotonin which are really important for the your 'feel good factor' so taking supplements can help. Another one I forgot was eating turkey as it has levels of tryptophan! Look up foods that contain tryptophan in a google search as there are others too - think bananas might be one.

The other thing that really helped me was just talking to/being in the company of other people that had either been through the same thing or were going through it. I usually check in the PND forum because at the time it helped me to speak to other people who had come 'out the other end' so I knew there was an end to it.

Happy to help in any small way

Lisa

[Modified by: PNEBairn on April 24, 2010 01:54 PM]