Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Has anyone used sertraline??

Hi mummies
I've just been diagnosed with PND. It was really hard admitting how I felt and opening up but I'm glad I did..I so want to get better for my childrens sake.
I've been perscribed 50mg of sertraline..I dont really know what to expect so just wondered if anyone had any experience of it?/
xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi i have a 22month old and a 5month old and have just been diagnosed and was prescribed these today the same dose as you - so if anyone has been on these it would be good to know what to expect. i hope we both feel better very soon.
    take care
    Lin.
  • Options
    I was put on Sertraline. I was for OCD not PND though. The 2nd week I started to feel better and now into the 3rd week I'm starting to feel the full effect. I had no side effects from it. It makes me feel more awake so I take it at night if I'm working nights instead of taking it in the morning. I did find if I drink alchol, I got dizzy, so it's not recommended that you consume alchol while taking it. I was warned that it may take several weeks before you feel the full effect. My drug store stated to take it with food to help with the absorption. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Yup this is the 2nd time I've used it and on the same dose as you. Mine started again at the beginning of Sept just before DD1 started back to school, but this time the PND bought a new symptom out in me......Paranoia! now this scared the living daylights out of me cos this is the first time this has ever happened to me! I was constantly thinking that my OH was mucking about behind my back even thou the whole time we've been together(8.5yrs) he's never once done anything like that. I was in a right old state when I saw my doctor but about 6wks on and I'm doing alot better than I was thou mine have the side effect of making me sleepy during the day, even thou I take it about 6pm most nights. The only other thing with me is it turns my sex drive almost right off, but everyone is different thou so don't worry but other than that if you notice any bad effects see ya doctor again and he can try changing you to something else. Hope this helps
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you've got PND. I was diagnosed a year ago when my DS was about 8 months old. I was prescribed Sertraline as it was the best one for breastfeeding Mums apparently.

It worked brilliantly for me. It made me feel normal again which was such a relief. I noticed no side effects and I slept so much better and felt more positive.

I gradually came off it after about 4 - 5 months, dropping half a tablet every 1 - 2 weeks. I had no problems coming off it at all. The PND had completely gone by then and hasn't returned.

Good luck and try not to worry - PND isn't a permanent thing and you will feel better.

J x
  • Options
    I Took Sertraline For A Week.. Was Saposta Go Back Doctors For Another Course But Could'nt Go Out Of The House..Now The Feelings Getting Worse..
    What Can I Do????
  • Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.