Forum home› Babies› Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How can you tell??

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice really. How can you tell if its PND or just feeling down? Are the symptoms simillar? Any advice would be great
Caz

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    PND has lots of symptoms you may have one or two or lots. Generally I would say that if you feel sad more often than not then you probably are. The other symptoms can include:

sleeplessness
    lack of concentration
    paranoia
    feeling sad, lonely, unloved, scared,worthless
    guilt
    weepy

These are just a few that I can think of- have you spoken to anyone else about this?? It is something that can be hard to admit to but if it is pnd the sooner you admit this to yourself and others and get help the better. I suffered after the birth of my second child and to be honest my personal situation at that time was crap so I felt ok about the meds. This time round I took pnd again and because our situation was completely different I couldn't understand why I felt this way. Like I should be happy but deep down I wasn't. My hv just said its not circumstantial its hormonal and some women just get it theres no explanation why you and not someone else.

My sil had pnd for over a year before getting help- she was determained that she wouldn't take anti-depressants and it didn't help that my bro was against them too. That poor girl was on the verge of cracking up completely and I am not trying to scare you by telling you this but it has definately had a long term negative effect on her marriage which I thought was practically impossible for them they were so close.

As I have said I am not tryimg to scare you in any way just if you think you need help please talk to your doc or mw and if it is remember your oh is going through this too
  • Options
    thanks very much for your reply. i have not spoke to anyone about my concerns as i just put it down to hormones from having my baby.
    does pnd make you feel low all the time? or is it more of a one minute your fine and the next your not kinda thing?
    Caz x x
  • Options
    You can also fill out a questionaire in your gps and your HV and it can say if you have pnd or not. x
  • Options
    Thanks for that Diane, i will see my gp about it.
    Caz x
  • Options
    With pnd you still have good days and bad days its just that mostly it feels like bad days. Another difference may be that smaller things which wouldn't normally bother you that much seem so irritating.

I had pnd after my second child but accepted this because she was a very difficult baby, it felt like pnd was inevitable tbh. Also my relationship with my oh was awful at the time.
    Admitting I had pnd after no.3 was a lot more difficult because my wee man is an absolute angel and thankfully our relationship is fab. This meant I didn't feel that I had any reason to feel this way. I kind of ignored it for a few weeks till my oh said look we can't bury our head in the sand any longer. I spoke to my doc who assured me that circumstances can affect pnd but aren't really the cause-its just a chemical imbalance which can be corrected by medication.

The way I look at it is this- there is no need to feel embarrassed to be taking anti depressants (which a lot of people are) if you have a headache you take pain killers, if you were diagnosed as asthmatic you would think nothing of taking inhalers so if you are diagnosed as having pnd then you take the appropriate meds to correct this.

If you want to ask me any other questions feel free- I would have loved this kind of site when I first went through pnd
  • Options
    Sorry for gatecrashing but I just want to thank you KThom - I have been trying to explain how I'm feeling to those around me but due to the state of my mind I haven't been able to express myself... You have just written it down beautifully so I've copied down your list of symptoms to help me explain whats its like for me at the mo. Thanks again x
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Not been here for a while as not really felt up to doing much. This morning I received an email from Netmums about PND andthought i'd check it out, they have the Edinburgh Scale, which is the test most Gps & HVs use to determine if you have PND. Go to http://www.netmums.com/h/f/SUPPORT/pndtest/ It also explains the results so you know if you need to get further help.

Jen x
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Thanks KThom, i know what you mean i think this is my problem, things at home are fine between me and my partner, my baby is an angel so i wonder why i feel this way!?! Its like a bad circle cos then i just blame myself for feeling like this, its almost feels like you are letting everyone down for feeling depressed so this makes you embarrassed to admit it. I know i shouldnt but i do.
    Thanks to Jen&Ebony-Rayne for the site you have posted i will be definately taking a look at that.
    Once again thanks girls
    Caz x x :\)
  • Options
    Caz,

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better, I am glad to help. I wish I could give myself some advice right now tho!!! I am feeling really low and its getting to me. I am taking my meds as prescribed and am staring to worry that I need to go back onto 100mg rather than 50mg daily. Part of me wants to lock myself away and cry the other half just feels emotionally numb. I am snappy with the kids and oh which I hate coz they look at me with such hurt in their eyes and I hate being this mega bitch that I know deep down I am not.

Anyway rant over
  • Options
    KThom,
    sorry to hear you have had a bad day. Hope your feeling a bit better now? Im sure they know deep down that you dont mean to be like that with them. sending a big hug......
    Caz x x