Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can Fluoxotine just stop working???

Hi,

I have 3 year old and 2 year old twins... I had PND with my first but my ex-husband wouldn't let me take anything as he said it was all in my mind... After the twins arrived I was very low again and couldn't stop crying... I've been on Prozac now for just over 2 years (double dose 40mg)...

These last few days i've been feeling so low, I think my children would be better off living with someone else!!! All I seem to do is shout at them... Don't get me wrong, I love them more than life itself but feel I am breaking from the inside out...

Due to the time of year, I can't get an appt with my doctor until after the New Year... I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this???

Sara x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Sara,

I don't have the experience as have only been on Fluoxetine for 3 months and just changed drugs at my appointment today. I'd be very surprised if something that has previously been working for you would suddenly just stop? Is there anything else going on with you that could have caused the change in how you're feeling? I say this but I've no idea what, maybe a change in contraception or any other meds? Or something more emotional like a change in circumstances that have unsettled you?

I don't really know what to advise to be honest but I didn't want to R&R. Do you have someone close you can talk to now before you get to see the doctor? Alternatively could you request a phone call from your GP sooner to discuss over the phone, or contact the HV team?

Sorry I can't be more help hun, but am here to listen if you want.

Take care

xxx
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I saw my doctor last week, she up'd my tablets to 60mg!!! I read on the internet, this doseage was usually given to people on suicide watch!!! Really???

I have another appt tomorrow morning with my usual doctor, i'm feeling a little happier, but don't want to keep up'ing the dose everytime I feel unhappy...

We'll see...

Sara x
  • Options
    Hey Sara,

Am on a bit of a posting mission in the PND forum having not felt up to posting all week!

Was just wondering how you're feeling? Have the meds settled down or did they change your drug?

Are you having any kind of talking treatment alongside the meds, is it something you'd consider if not that could help more?

xxx