Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Suffering with PND

Hello, it took me a lot to join a forum but I guess I have just been feeling so low I wondered If anybody on here was feeling the same and could offer some support. I have a little girl, she's 3 months old and I was diagnosed with post natal depression a few weeks after she was born. I find each day so difficult, my daughter is beautiful but she is so unsettled most of the time. She screams for hours after being fed, burped and changed so I don't know what else I can do. i feel like I'm a failure and I never expected to feel like this. My partner works a lot and I just feel like I wish I could be in his position, but then I feel guiltily for feeling that way. Sometimes I feel like I'm at breaking point and I feel so low. I am extremely lonely, no one of my friends really have children yet and I feel when i speak to them that I'm not a good mum (even though they don't think that it's just the way I feel) its like i don't like admitting I'm struggling to people. I would love to speak to someone who is in a similar position so I don't feel so alone with how I am feeling. Thank you for taking your time to read this. Rebecca x 

Replies

• Options
    Hi there image

What you have said is exactly how I feel also. My little boy is 7 weeks old and a couple of weeks after his birth, I was diagnosed with post natal depression. The anxiety and the low mood is aweful. I would cry if anyone asked me how I was. Didn't want too leave the house. So so tired! None of my friends have kids either so I know how isolating it is and hard for them too understand. My partner works a lot too and some days I also wish it was me heading out the door image I have a 2 year old also and I feel so guilty that my time is now spent looking after the newborn. Are you taking any medications for it? My doctor prescribed me an anti depressant and it has made me a bit more functional. They say support is a big part of the healing process also which is hard when a lot of your friends don't have children. I'm glad I found this thread so we can chat and support each other.

Kate xxx
  • Options

Hi Kate! So sorry I have only just seen your reply! Thought I would have gotten an email or something. Thank you for responding, it feels good to know I'm not alone. How are you and your little ones? My daughter is 7 months now, the crying got a bit better when we started to give her solids, and she was sleeping 7-8 hours at night but the last few weeks she seems to have done a big U-turn and wakes twice in the night for feeds and is very moany all the time. I have been having cognitive behavioral therapy for the last couple of months and it has helped me open my mind. It has been quite difficult also facing a few surpressed demons but I think I needed to let it out. I havent been on any medication for it but I am wondering if it will be the best option for me as I still have very low days. I understand what you mean about the anxiety and not wanting to go out! I have  felt so bad about myself Its so easy to just hide away. My therapist suggested that the only way to beat aniexty is to challenge it and show yourself that your worse fears dont happen. It makes sense but it seems much harder to control your negative thoughts. I hope you are keeping well and not struggling too much. Rebecca x