Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty training

Hi peeps  Could anyone out there help!! I seem to be having a great deal of trouble getting information on how to help my youngest son, lve tried the normal things like health visiter ect but still no help. Although he his nearly 4 development wise he his on 2yrs 9mths. When would be the best time to toilet train him. All my other children at this age had been clean and dry for along time. Sadly hes no idea what l want him to do with the potty or toilet. Could anyone offer any advise big or small l dont care just want to help my little man. Thanks.

Replies

• Options
    I have not reached the potty training stage yet so I cant advise but lots of the other mums wil be able to help you im sure
  • Options
    My little sister is 3yrs 7mnths and doesnt have any problems, but she cant manage toilet training she just has no idea bless her, shes quite ahead in most areas but the toilet just confusses her and hv has said not to worry it will click one day, whther its in a week or a year!
  • Options

Hi there

Im with mel on this,just go with the flow. I tryed riley at 2yrs but he couldnt get on with it but at 2 1/2 he was ready and had no problems,his not totally dry at night which i dont expect him to be yet. This was mainly coz of starting nusery but they were ok if he was still in pull ups. Altho i have a friend who just didnt bother till she wanted hr son to start nusery and they point blank refused unless he was toilet trained.

I no of other kids the same age that are still in training pants as they cant cope with stress of the potty,he will be ready in his own time.

Best of luck and hope its not to long for you.

xx

• Options
    I bought a book on potty training. Is there any on ebay you can get for children with learning difficulties
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, just looks like its going to be a long hard road. Tried most of the tips think we have potties in every room in every colour shape an size!!! Think l could give Mothercare a run for their money in that department haha. School dont mind the pull ups so its going with the flow. Thanks alot again n enjoy rest of the day.
  • Options

Hi Lena

I think it sounds as if you are doing things right. You just need to keep trying and persevering and your son will get there in the end! He will do things in his own time.

I was reading something last week which said that disposable nappies encourage children to potty train later as they move the urine away from the skin, If you try using washable training pullups ( i think mothercare have them) they keep the moisture neat the skin which makes the child feel wet and uncomfortable. That sounds nasty but it makes them realise that they are wet and they learn that it;s not a nice feeling!

I am going to have a look for a link to the training pants and will add a post later!

• Options
    We just did the cold turkey with all of ours somewhere between 2 and 2.5.There's nothing in my house doesn't clean and I'd sit them on the potty every ten mins for a few winutes at first then longer if they didn't go.Eventually they did something and when they did they got a smarty.They were soon trained.Both my boys have special needs but were trained by 2.5.They are all different.You know your child best.
  • Options
    you can't do it til they're ready thats what i've learnt. Tate is 3 next month and will not even sit on his potty, we've tried a few times taken off nappies he just wets himself and screams and begs for a nappy on. I refuse to push him into potty training just because i feel he's too old for nappies. he will do it when he's ready, maybe i will be able to train tate and luka at the same time in the end lol!!!!
  • Options

try the towel potty training method

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.