Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty training & Poo!!!

Hi everyone

I dont really post in toddler very much but I really dont know what to do with DD and was hoping someone will have been through the same that can help me.

DD is 2 1/2 and on Thursday, after constant bettles about the potty, askd if she could wear knickers and I of course agreed. About an hour and half after putting the knickers on she had a very small accident, but that is it since then all her other wees have been in her potty which is just brilliant I couldnt have hoped for better.

BUT she will not poo in her potty or on the toilet, she doesnt even try she just runs away so she is on her own & does it in her knickers, we have asked her what hwer problem with the potty is and all she will say is she doesnt want to tell us.

We have tried stars & sweets as rewards, praising her teddy when she did a poo on her potty, bribery (an 8ft trampoline in the garden obviously isnt enough). We have talked to her and explained why it isnt nice to do it and how ding it on the potty is nice and fun, have taken her with us and showed her that we do it (sorry tmi).

As she has done so well with her wees this is really getting me and her dad down & we dont know what to do or where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ladies

Rach

Replies

• Options
    I had this with dd1, now 6, so my memory is a bit vague. She was very good at weeing but would go off on her own to poo, usually behind the sofa. Eventually I managed to spot the signs of when she was about to do a poo and quickly put her on the potty or toilet then. I can't remember exactly how long it took for her to do it on her own but I do remember it was just perseverence, and a little bit of resistence until eventually she just did it.

My main piece of advice, as with most things, is to try not to make too big a deal out of it, and of course give her lots of praise when she does get it right.
  • Options
    Daniel was the same hon, he started off his own back when he'd just turned 2, and was weeing in potty or toilet fine from word go but kept doing poos in his pants - I decided just to ignore it, remind him to tell us or use the toilet whenever he did it and not make any sort of deal about it at all. All of a sudden he vanished upstairs then called that he needed help - he'd done a poo on the toilet all by himself!! He had accidents after that of course, expec if they were (sorry tmi) a bit hard, he felt more comfy doing it in his pants instead, but for the most part it clicked with him when he wanted it to. He went through a phase of us having to be outside of the bathroom whilst he did it, and would call me in when he'd finished, and we made jokes about it saying we could hear the splash etc, and cheering him, clapping and so on. Now he's fab about it all.

I know what you mean about it getting you down though, I thought he'd never get the hang of it, but he did in his own time; poo always comes slower than wee does hon, so dont worry about it, go with the flow and she'll get it eventually. He's only 28 months now and has been using toilet for poos for a couple of months now to give you idea of our timeline. Have occasional accident but he's always so annoyed at himself for it, bless him.