Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Team Wee Can Do This - Accidents Are Us

We all know that little accidents during potty training are part of the process and so this is the place to share your stories, ask questions and swap tips. Come and join in...

Replies

• Options

What do you do when potty training and going out in the car? Risk a wet accident or put a pull up on? In this weather im not sure i want the car stinking of wee but know I shouldnt put him in a pull up either =/

• Options

I take a potty in the car with us and we pull over if the need arises. She has now learnt to hold it a bit too. 

• Options

hi ya my son wee on the floor by accident i didnt mind it a way of learning

• Options

some pull ups or dry like me pads are a good idea just in case, and plenty of spare pants! If your LO can tell you when they need to go and you are no where near a toilet, don't be afraid to just hold them out in a quiet corner. If you have a car and travel a lot. it is a good idea to keep a spare potty in the boot! image

• Options

I am scared of training my daughter because accidents will happen, and it can be disheartening, is there anything I can add to her nappy ahead of traing to help her become more awae of when she has had a wee?

• Options

Only just started so no accidents yet but getting prepared with lots of easy to change clothes

• Options

I thought our accident days were almost over as we werent having that many but tonight my son was sitting on the sofa, naked from the waist down and suddenly he had the longest wee I have ever seen, half way through the sitting room. Luckily it landed on the plastic mat we use when we play with playdoh so the carpet was saved image. So my advice now is - use plastic sheets underneath when playing...

• Options

I experienced out first pooey accident this weekend, I was in the shower and DS decided not to bother with the potty. And then yesterday he was going to do another and was acting slightly scared of the potty to go for a poo where we'd previsouly been very happy to go? Confused! Lots of praise given and stickers for a poo on the potty so hopefully it wont happen again....changing pooey pants is a TOTALLY different ball game to changing  a pooey nappy.

• Options

When we were potty training there were lots of accidents at home so we resorted to nappies when we were in someone else's home. The best advice I can give is to accept there will be accidents, be as patient as possible, try not to chastise when accidents occur, to explain what we are doing and why, to praise when accidents don't happen and don't give up! My son was really easy to train but my daughter was more difficult so we spent time making the potties her "friend" and she decorated them with stickers etc.

• Options

DS had an accident a couple of weeks ago at the park in the sand pit... we burried it in the sand Lol

• Options

Ha just seen what my above comment sounds like... it was just a wee! Lol

• Options

Accidents happen and it's important to react calmly or children may start to get anxious. I planned a few days at home with DD when we first started potty training, building up to short outings and finally longer outings. 

Always ask your child to try to have a go on the potty before going out so they get into the habit and don't forget spare pants!

I used puppy pads in the car as they were cheap and disposable.

image.

• Options

Advice needed. I've potty trained my daughter but we are still having a problem with no.2s! She was a prolific nappy pooer and now only goes every 2-3 days which I know is ok but she is failing to recognise the signals and often has an accident. It is very clear when she needs to go as she bounds around not knowing what to do with herself. I try to put her on the toilet but she gets very upset and I'm afraid she is going to develop a phobia. I've tried explaining to her that the discomfort she is feeling means she needs to go and that everyone does it and its ok. I explain to her after she has been that she feels more comfortable. I'm a little bit lost with it all now, I also have a 14 month old so I struggle to find the time (usually 15-20 mins) to sit with her in the loo and explain what is happening and encourage her etc. I read stories whilst she sits on the loo to try and distract her and get her to relax as she gets so worked up. She drinks plenty, eats lots of fruit and veg and often eats lentils as I know these help move things along.

Any suggestions?

• Options

Michelle my little man struggled going for a poo but will now hapilly trot along to the potty with no quelms. We found that having a potty in the living room helped as when we spotted the signs we'd put him on the potty and he'd watch tv until he needed to do it. I also have a 5 month old so like you couldnt spend ages in the toilet.

Hope you find a solution soon