Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

18mnth telling me he has a 'poopoo' before it happens

Just need some advise if anyone can help?

My son is 18 months old we bought a standard potty so he could get used to it and sits on it and sits his teddy on it so he know its for 'wee wee' and 'poo poo's the past month he has been coming up to me and saying 'poopoo' before he does either a wee or poo To me this is a sign that he is aware he is doing one

But were do i go from here? When i do sit him on the potty after he is not entirely sure about it

was thinking about gettin pants so he is aware of being wet (just during some of the day) Just at a bit of a loss as i only know poeple that have potty trained their boys when they are 3 ....

I don't realy just want to ignore him telling me he is doing one

Any tips or advise?

thanks

Replies

• Options
    well when he says it you get his potty and say ok well this is where we do poopoo and prompt him to sit dwn and go to the toilet. I just to sit my little girl and and making pushin noises which she found quite amusing and would mimmick me .
    You could try bringin the potty into the bathroom and sitting him on it whilst you do a wee and say this is where mummy does a wee and tell him the potty is where he should do a wee. If you have a garden the summer month are great for potty training . Just let him run around without a nappy on and have the potty with you and if you see him looking like hes going to go usher him to it!
    and the fun starts when it gets to the point when you are taking them out without a nappy on... all i will say is my little girl had about 3 accidents and she hated it so it really taught her that she needed to go on the toilet and to try to hold on to it a little when we were out! I remember once we were in asda, i hasd put a nappy on her in the car becuase i knew she would go to sleep on the way well we had got all the shopping and were at the till when she said toilet mummy toilet.i was onmy own at the till like arghh no typical so i said grace you have a nappy on just go in your nappy this time ...well she was hacing none of it and said no no no mum i need to go and went on and on . i sped through the till and took her to the toilet expecting her to have done it in the nappy already ... i sat her on the loo and she did the HUGEST wee i have ever herd!
    but just perservere hes obviously ready to start good luck!!