Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty training and going out

Hi

Have started potty training my lo who is 3 in August, I waited for her to show interest and things are starting to click now.
I am using pull ups which seem to be working for us but just wondered what everyone does when they are out.
Do you take a potty with you? and where would you use it? would you use it when in a shop for instance?
I asked in a shoe shop if my lo could use the toilet as she told me she needed it but they said no and I wondered how they would feel if I had a potty with me and let her use it there.

Replies

• Options
    my mum always kept a potty in the car and my neice used it siting in the boot!!! oh a bottle of water for rinsing out! i havent ventured out with hayden not in a nappy but will be doing the same thing when we do. i have seen fold up portable potties will have look and post a link if i find one, love fi
  • Options
    My friend uses those portable potties, they seem quite good. I probably wouldn't just let lo use a potty in a shop but run out of the shop into a discreet corner lol xx
  • Options
    Hi there, my ds will be 3 in September and I took a week off to potty train him and few weeks back and he's got on brilliantly and hasn't had an accident in nearly two week but yes his potty goes everywhere with us!! He's had a wee outside my work, in the car park of tescos, in the library!!.
    I keep one potty in the car and take it everywhere, his nana also has a potty and we have several at home. I don't take it to nursery as he's more than happy to use theirs.

If I offend people when i'm out then tuff!!! He will not use an adult toilet so I can't take him into public toilets. Obviously if there is a toilet near by then I would go in and use his potty in the toilets but if there isn't there his potty is used whereever he needs to go!! It won't be forever but I think people have to understand that its hard training lo's and at this age they can't always hold it until they get to a toilet!!

Me and some friends went a kids fun park the other day and we are all in the process of potty training and it was like a potty station with 6 potties lined up in a row for the kids to go when they wanted!!!
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the replys. I have bought a potette travel potty and am pleased with it, lo is yet to use it but it is peace of mind and saves the mad dash to find a loo.
    Also I lend it to my ex as he takes lo to soft play and they have no toddler toilet or potty in the changing room or mens (which he says is filthy anyway), they told him to use the ladies but obviously he is not comfortable with that so I lent him the potty and he can then go in the changing room with it.
    I think that it has not been well thought through as a lot of men take their kids there and will have the same problem, it is a fairly new place aswell.
    We have just had another sticker on the chart, yippee!!
    Not doing too well as she gets very involved in wahtever she is doing and forgets to ask.
  • Options
    i take my two year old out in her knickers and potty comes too, 3 change of clothes, wipes, bottle of water to rinse and carrier bag to, all under the buggy. Its working so well so far, pull ups sometimes she gets too excited n forgets to ask and thinks as she doesnt get wet its ok, however last she woke up said need wee wee and went on potty n pulled her pull ups back up.
  • Options
    Just thought I would update and say it is true what they say - it clicks over night.
    DD just suddenly got it, unfortunately she has diarrhoea so poo is not doing well but no fault of hers and she is trying.