Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice needed- Have I started too early

Have started trying to train my 23 month old daughter but it not going too well. She knows what she's got to do but I just don't think she actually knows when she's about to wee so keeps going on the floor. I wonder if I've started too early?

The only reason I have started her now is that as it's the school hols she has no playschool or toddler group to distract her. In an ideal world I would leave it until she is about 2 1/2 but I am 20 weeks pregnant and don't fancy potty training with a 2 month old to worry about as well and think if I wait until new baby a bit older than it will be a bit late for DD.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    I know from experience with my dd we tried from the age of 2 and she just wasn't ready. It got her stressed which we didn't want so we just left it. I had just had her little sister and that didn't help things, she wanted to be babied for a bit longer with her baby sister on the scene. After a couple of months we tried again and she seemed to want to do it. One day we came back from the beach and stripped her off as she was wet and sandy, she went and sat on the potty without being asked and kept using it after that - it just clicked. It took the stress away from both of us. Yes, there have been a few accidents but that's only to be expected. I really believe lo's will do it when they're ready. If the potty is left out you might find she'll use it when she's ready. I know the timing would be lovely if she took to it at the moment but I would give it a break for a few weeks and then go back to it if I were you. Let us know how you get on. xx
  • Options
    6 weeks, crikey, good luck to you! I think potty training is less about age and more about when the lo is ready for it. It's not recommended that you wait but there is proven evidence that children don't have any bladder or bowel control until they are around the age of 2. Some children can't do this until they are 3 which is why parents shouldn't stress about it. After all we all get there in the end don't we!
  • Options
    i have just started with my little boy he's just 20months. he has had a potty from 12months so he i used to it and i would only put him on it at bath time, a few days ago he was in the bathroom before bath time and got on his potty a did a wee on his own so thats when i knew he was ready to start, i have a 6week old baby and its not been that hard doing it...

i would leave it for a week or so then keep trying every so often and eventually she'll get the hang of what she's got to do!!
    good luck
    xx
  • Options
    I tried to potty train my at about 20 months and he did really well for the first week but then the second week it didn't go too well. I was told in this situation it was probably a little too early.

However since then he asks to go to the toilet most nights before bed and now (a few months on) he really seems to be wanting to do it himself - he pulled his pants down to have a wee in the garden the other day!!

If it's too soon i think you'll know - give it a few weeks and try again, you've already put the idea in her head!

Good luck with it x
  • Options
    Thanks Guys,

You've kind of confirmed what I already had in my head. I am still going to let her run around in normal pants when we're at home and encourage her to sit on the potty at bathtime etc. but just not going to make a big thing of it otherwise.

Nice to knoe that even if she doesn't do it until the baby's born that it might not be too hard, thanks Feebie.

My mum insists that I was potty trained at 18 mths as well but again puts it down to terry nappies and actually feeling wet.

Will keep you posted.