Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How young is too young??

Hi. My LO is coming up to 1 and my mother and other family members think that I shold be starting to potty train. Not to the extent of telling me when he needs to go to the toilet, but to take off the nappy when I think a poo is iminent and sit him on the potty so that he gets used to it.

Has anyone else tried or heard of this. Apparently me and my sister were both dry during the day due to this method by the time we were 13 months old.

Help... :\?

Replies

• Options
    I've heard of this method before with people starting their kids as young as 6 months (think it was someone speaking on this morning). I've never tried it myself but think it works on the principle that you anticipate when they go or watch out for signs that they are about to go so you can put them on the potty/toilet at the appropriate time.

I personally would rather wait until lo has developed enough to recognise the sensation of needing to go to the toilet, be able to tell you and has the coordination to pull their trousers and pants down etc themselves.

Don't feel pressurised by family (or anyone else for that matter), they mean well but ultimately he's your child and you have to do what's best for you and him! Every child is different so theirs no right or wrong age it totally depends on them and when their ready.

Hope that helps x x