Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Not Ready?

Hi

My lo is 2 1/2 years old and spent this afternoon running round with no nappy on and the potty at the ready.
She sat on it a frew times but did nothing, then just before dinner I was just thinking of putting her nappy back on when she tells me she has pooed, she had actually just weed on the carpet.
She made no effort to get to the potty so I was wondering if it is too soon for her or if this is completely normal to begin with.
She does not have a masive interest in the whole thing but just lately asked to go to toilet twice (she didn't do anything).
Any tips would be good, is leaving the nappy off vital?

Replies

• Options
    hi hun, its only very early days for me so we're in the same boat. I'd say its absolutely normal. So don't worry, just be patient and consistent.

I find that Evie's not to keen on just "sitting" on the potty, and if i ask she gets upset. but if i can see that she might need to do something (she'd jump up from the sofa or she'd just get a bit fidgety) i will encourage her to sit on it.

I think the firstt few days are about them learning what it FEELS like right before they wee. Because in nappies they dont even have to think about it, their brains just aren't trained to feel the wee there, and get to a potty before it comes.

Yesterday was our first day and evie didnt ever seem to know she needed to wee, we just ended up with puddles. this morning however i asked her to go when i had an incling she might need it and sure enough she wee'd, seeing it in the potty and knowing she'd done it i think has helped her understanding.

sorry for waffling on image but keep going and good luck image XX