Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

3year old and still in nappies

hi i am having a bit of a problem, my ds will not lose his nappies he has pull ups but will happly go in them, he does have two potty an seat for the tolilet.we let him pick one potty which was a lighting mcqueen from asda when you got them in a box.i carnt get him to go on them.he will maybe once a day then no more or he will have accidents in his pants an doesnt bother him that he has had a poo or wee.he will tell mr tho.can anybody give me any advice.i have tried reward charts,giving him lots of attention when he has gone on potty,getting him the pants he picks.i dont no what to do.i also have a daughtr who is nearly 16 months they were both born in feb so only a 2 year gap.i joke she will train first but now i think she will.i am getting so stressed as everyone keeps tellong me hes really behind.:evil:

Replies

• Options
    My ds will be 3 in october and is showing absolutely no interest in coming out of nappies anytime soon. I get frustrated because he will run about with no nappy on and then ask for a nappy so he can have a pee or poo in it so i know he can tell when he needs to go! I too am getting the remarks about him still being in nappies as he is big for his age so looks older. Its like they think i'm being a bad mother or doing something wrong.
    Alot of people do tell me boys are harder to train than girls and i do know of a few mums who still had boys in nappies at 3 so you are not alone. You seem to have tried most of the usual tricks people suggest the only other one i've heard of is peeing in the potty yourself to show lo its nothing to be scared of, i don't know how u feel about that but i suppose anythings worth a try?
    The main thing is not to worry about what other people say or think and just let him come out of nappies when he's ready its pointless stressing yourself (and him) about it. Summer is almost here so let him run about in the garden with nothing on and eventually it will just click (thats what i hoping anyway lol)
    Good luck and hope you get some success soon x x
  • Options
    hi thankyou for the reply.i did think about doing that,so i will give it till next weeks as i have takent the potty away an will bring ti back tommorrow.he has nursery on a wed an fri so if i start on a sat it gives use a few days to get the hang of it.same with my son he is really big for his age an i gets lods of people saying things especially MIL mind you tho she thinks i do wrong with everything inc breast feeding!!i will let you no how i get on thanks.
  • Options
    hi my 2nd son was 3 in may and sounds like the twin of yours' he had no interest in losing the nappies, reward charts wouldn't work, praise didn't work nothing... like you we let him choose hes own pants and potty but once we got them home he wasn't interested. i asked the hv for advice and she didn't have any coz i'd already tried everything. so i thought this will never happen and had given up felt like he'd be in nappies forever and i'd have to fend off others rude comments for the rest of my life THEN..... this week he woke up wed morning and refused to have a nappy on and wanted pants and we are now at the end of the 2nd dry day. so all i'm trying to say please don't worry he will come to it when hes ready and your not the only one. all the best x x
  • Options
    thankyou my son is called connor to.saw mil today and she went on about ti until i said please dont saty potty as he gets upset.but i had a break though today he said he wante his nappy of but couldnt as we were at her house an he had done a poo so i hoping in the next few weeks.its helped not saying pott to him so i think i will go with this.thankyou ladies.x
  • Options
    connormum - my son was 3 2 wks ago and sounds just like yours! Thanks for giving me hope - we've had a rubbish day today as I tried again and just got lots of wee on floor and sofas for my efforts and some crying and naughtiness! I gave up after lunch and was feeling like a crap mother when I came on here. Anyway, was wondering, in the run up to him deciding, were you doing anything or had you given up? If you were trying, wwhat were you doing? All hints/tips welcome, feel like I've tried everything and failed.