Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training HELP!

Hi Mummies,
We and OH have decided its time to start potty training our little boy Rhys, he two and a half and isnt taking to kindly to the idea of not having and nappy on and having to pee in the potty. Now we've started I dnt want to backtrack and put him back in nappies and i know it can be quite a long process, but i was just wondering if anyone had any tips that they have heard about or used that mite help us in our plite to train him up. Thanks ladies xxx

Replies

• Options
    My ds is 2yrs 10 months and he is now dry through the day,thank god!! It was a long hard slog especially with no 2's but we got there! The only advice i can give is be very patient and praise him everytime he does anything,even sitting on the potty! Buy lots of pants in preparation and have changes of clothes available on hand!
    I used a reward chart with Finley which helped especially when he had a poo!!
    Good luck!! x
  • Options
    Hi with ellie if i can remember its seems so long ago, i just kept asking her i she neede a wee and taking her to the toilet as we had a seat for it that looked liked the potty and the same colour and had the potty aswell, and lots of patience and changes of pants and gave her praise all the time. mind that was 5 yrs ago when she was 2. I will have 2 boys to train at the same time as there is only 10 months between my 2 so double the trouble lol
    vikki xx
  • Options
    Hi, i disagree with the not back tracking TBH, all kids are different & there is no set age for toilet training. We tried my son for a few days & he really hadnt a clue & wasnt getting the hang of it & hated being wet/dirty so we put him back in nappies, about a month later we tried again & within a few days he had the hang of it & we had very few accidents. They are either ready or they're not & I think continuing with it if they really arent ready could be more damaging psychologically than putting them back in nappies for a few weeks & may even slow it up more, i hope that makes sense it does in my head!

All personal opinion of course doesnt mean i'm right!!

• Options
    Thanks ladies, Rhys has been wearing nappies wen we've bin out and about for the past few days but wen weve bin at home he's been nappy free. He's had a couple of accidents but has also dun lots of wee's on his potty, but wudnt do a number 2 until his nappy was on, I thought back tracking might give him mixed signals about where he shud be weeing and pooing, which mite take the whole process longer. He tells me "bigs boys do wee and poo on the potty" but i dnt think he's quite realised yet the signs of needing a wee so he can get to the potty or tell me he needs it. Like u said ladies its just a case of time and patience, thanks 4 ur tips i suppose iv got lots of wee and poo to come, lol xxx