Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My daughter is using the toilet!! yay

2 and half weeks ago my daughter came up to me when i was making dinner saying she needs a wee and wants the toilet. she took me to bathroom and i sat her on there and she did it I was so unbelievably proud and, hate to admit, emotional. However she hasnt done it since and started to worry it was a once off. Fortunatly she done it again yesterday and about 10 mins ago, although she told me she needed a wee today and yesterday I had to say 'you need to sit on toilet'. Whereas 2 and half wks ago she needed no pushing. I cant believe its the toilet she used before potty, shes not very keen on it I suppose.
Is 2 yrs and 3months late for her to start?? x

Replies

• Options
    Hi - well done! My daughter is 2yrs 10mths and is only just becoming potty trained, so she is doing well. Just keep giving her gentle reminders which is what I've been doing and so far so good - fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    my first son was about 2yrs and 8 months when we started. He had never told me that he needed a wee or let me know in any way that he was weeing in his nappy, I just though it was about time we did it! I think each child is ready at different times. My friends son was toilet-trained during the day by his second birthday!!
  • Options
    I have always left my daughter to tell me if she needs a wee. And since before she turned 2 she would let me know that she had done one in her nappy or if her nappy was off and we were at home she would ask for her nappy which I thought was a good start! I really didnt want to push her too soon as I have heard it can be counter productive. I used to sit her on potty but she would hold it in until I put her nappy on so I thought we would be waiting ages. Its strange how all of a sudden she is doing it, daughter doesnt say yes to the toilet everytime but its progress. Feel like shes growing up so quickly, a few nights ago I took her dummy away at night so now she doesnt have it at all. Wheres my baby gone? x
  • Options
    oh I know what you mean! My dd is now dry daytime, gets in and out her carseat herself and can put her pants and trousers on! I sometimes just want my baby back too!! Then I get the photos out and get all teary lol xx
  • Options
    hi emmalou85 - i think you should sit back for a bit and wait for him to make the 1st move, like u said he gets more stubborn the more u try. by leaving my dd to it she told me that she was ready, no pushing. gd luck, one day he'll surprise u! xx
  • Options
    I think you're all doing brilliantly! My son is 3 in a couple of weeks and has no interest in potty training at all. We've tried so many times and he just won't do it. I was going to try again last month but HV said best to wait a while as we'd just had baby no 2. Determined that next time we do it will be successful. HV said that they don't get concerned til child is much older but I feel like such a rubbish mum when all my friends LO's are toilet trained, especially the ones that are younger than Joe. I don't think it helps that everything else has come relatively easily to him.
    Heigh ho, sure we'll get there eventually!
  • Options
    Zoe31 - It doesnt mean you're a rubbish mum & sure all children have at least one thing that doesnt come as easily as everything else. It will happen one day, he just isnt ready yet. My little brother wasnt dry at night until he was 5.

Quick update: Felicity is now without nappies all day and uses potty & toilet. She is also very good at holding it when were out. She still hasnt done a poo though and I worry she is too scared. Its all so exciting!! xxx
  • Options
    Hi, I find potty training an intriguing subjet...I have watched loads of friends struggle with training their toddlers so I decided to introduce the potty from a young age (10 months). My sister is struggling with her DS who is 2yrs 5months & he will wee on the potty but still poos his pants, I have a friend whose daughter is 2yr & she has just started to poo in the potty & I have another friend whose daughter would rip her nappy off & wee on the mattress/floor or anywhere other than the loo (but I think it's because she saw it as a game - her mum is easily wound up).
    So, I have set myself the challenge of starting early with the hope that it will be treated as an everyday thing...it's actually working out quite well & as I use washable nappies I find it cuts down on the amount of nappies that I use & my LO really loves being on the potty, he sits there smiling & kicking his legs - my sister said I was psychologically damaging him but we took a picture of him on it for her (she lives in France) and he looks like he's posing! (great pic for his 18th birthday I think! lol!).
    I have another friend whose 1yr old hates his potty.
    So, every bb will take to it in a different way & every mother has different ideas & hopefully my LO will keep on loving it (my mum would have started him at 6 weeks if she could!).
    FYI - I got my idea to start at 9 months from the book 'The Baby Whisperer'.
    xxx
  • Options
    Don't want to tempt fate but we started toilet training again on Joe's 3rd birthday last week and this time he's taken to it brilliantly! In a week we've only had 1 wet and 1 dirty accident. I'm so proud of him and he can't wait to tell Granny and Grandad that he uses the big boys toilet when they get back from their hols tomorrow!!!