Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

potty training

my daughter is 2.5 too and was the same, no nappy and shed go on potty but if she had knickers or nappy would just wet herself- then it got WORSE she now wees even with no nappy on, just goes and wees on floor, then was laughing at me when i told her not to - i dont know what to do, am gona try n make sticker chart next week and see how that works

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

I need some advice. My son has just turned two years old and i am expecting another one in April. I work full time and i am hoping to have my little one out of nappies by the time my 2nd one comes along. He is not very good sitting on his potty. My husband says he is not ready yet. Although he does let us know when he has done a No 2. How should i get him to sit on his potty. Is it best too leave him naked around the house with a potty nearby? Should i get some training pants for him? How long does it all take? He will be starting pre school in January and the nursery are quiet happy to continue with the training?
  • Options
    hi deepa, my first is 3 so i went thru this about a year ago...i just had her run about with no pants around house, this seemed to work better as when she had on clothes she just did it and it didnt seem to bother her. some people say put on pants and then they will soon learn to not like wet pants ...but this didnt bother my wee girl!!so when she had nothing on, she could run to the potty as it was running down her leg...a few accidents to begin with but they soon learn that way.id say just keep constantly asking if they need a pee (or whatever your son calls it) and play games like 'lets pretend we need to use the potty' etc and clap hands and make it really exciting to do the toilet in the potty.some people use sticker rewards but this didnt work for us, my girl picked it up pretty quickly. once she had done it once it was a lot easier, its just getting them to do it for the first time thats difficult. when we were out and about i just had her in buggy with proper pants and put her on a plastic bag covered with a towel just incase...basically once i took her out nappies the nappies were gone, no going back to nappies except bedtimes, then about 2 weeks she had completely mastered it. it took about 6 months after that for bedtimes (a total flook, when she got chicken pox she didnt like a nappy on in bed cause it hurt her bisters so i took the chance to stop nappies at bedtime then)..but if you at least manage during the day, using nappies at bed isnt so bad. with regards training pants, i personally think they are just like nappies, and the child doesnt really dituinguisjh and i dont think it encourages them to go to big girl/boy toilet...just persist and it wont take long. you say your husbadn says he is not ready, i have heard that boys can take longer because of some physical thing but i dont know for sure i only have a girl.good luck x