Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

potty training

my 18month old son keeps taking his nappy off, is this a sign he is ready to be potty trained? or is this what most kids do? he has a potty, but doesnt know what its for yet, he just keeps playing with it. how will i know when he is ready? im 3 weeks away from having my second and worried if i start potty training him now, i might not have the time to carry it on when the new baby comes along. xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi I was exactly the same my daughter was 20 months when my youngest was born and she would not keep her nappy on but would not go on the potty. I too felt like there was not a lot of point starting before baby came as the disruption of the baby might have delayed it. The biggest thing was just trying to get her to go on the potty for the first time, in the end I left her to her own devices and the less fuss I made about her doing it the more she tried it. We live in a flat so our toilet is on the same level and I found that one day she just put her toilet set on the toilet and went so I gave her lots of praise and ever since she has been going on the toilet, that was 2 months ago and now she refuses to wear a nappy to bed and I got scared thinking she wasnt ready but as soon as she got into bed she took her nappy off and believe it or not she gets up and goes to the toilet in the night and we have not a had a wet bed. The only thing she wants a nappy for is a number two!! she is petrified of going to a number two on the toilet!! She still wears nappies when we go out, more for convience at the moment but I have been quite lucky. I know they say everyone is different but I did find the easiest thing was just to let her think she was a grown up doing it by herself as soon as I got involved she didnt want to do it. But after going on I do think maybe he is ready if he is taking his nappy off or if he understands what he is doing in his nappies.. Good luck for the training and the new baby. xxxx
  • Options

try the towel potty training method