Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training

Well Daniel is 2 1/2 and i really wanted to try and get him potty trained before he was 3 but i tried today but with no sucess,i put some normal pants on him instead of a nappy but he just didnt like them,crying to take them off and kept asking for a nappy,in the end i put one on him cos it was just upsetting him,so does this mean hes just not ready or is it that hes just not used to pants? should i try again in a few days or just wait a few months and try again?

sarah

Replies

• Options
    hey hun my lo is not quite 2 1/2 but very close and i have had a couple of wee's in the potty so far but im not going at it really hard with her as i think you can scare them off of things if you push too hard. Have you tried just letting him go with no pants at all. This is what i do with macey no nappy no pants just a potty and heating on so she dosent get cold this way if you catch him needing it quickly you dont have to faff about with pants?? Otherwise i would suggest maybe just starting with before bath time get hm to sit on it and try a wee wee and just in the morning so you gradually build him up to it? Maybe he is just not ready some toddlers arnt until 3 but i wouldnt push him just try every day and if he gets upset stop and say its ok and we can try tomorrow ? xx
  • Options
    I'd probably say it could be the pants. Has he ever been on a potty yet?

My ds is 26months and we have been starting to potty train over last week or so and instead of going the whole "cold turkey" thing straight into pants. I started getting him used to wearing pants over his pull ups. Then we started giving him a few hours at a time, and also when he gets up and before he goes to bed, without a nappy and he hasn't had a accident yet. He's been weeing everyday, several times a day on his potty and he has also done a couple of poos. The this weekend i'm going to try being in house with just pants on and see how he gets on then.
  • Options
    we have the potty in the corner of the room and we have said thats for wee wee and poo so he knows what its for but no hes never sat on it,when i put his nappy back on i said shall we put pants on over your nappy and he said no. will try nothing on next time and see what he says,thanks for the advice ladies

sarah
  • Options
    Don't know as I have yet to properly embark ds 22 months. Have bought pants he likes police car/trucks etc. Have tried to get him to sit on toilet / potty before bath but he just cries and gets v stressed but then I think is he just lazy? Stubborn? Nappies these days make it v comfy for lo and I'm worried he'll want to be in them til his 3/4! His language is v developed so that's not the issue. I plan on going full on in Feb half term. Stay in the whole week and try to nail it.
  • Options
    I'm yet to potty train but I once heard my hv telling a mum to get their lo involved in it more by letting them choose their own pants in the shop. Then they can choose their fave tv/cartoon character and it's their special pants to help them on the potty. Like I said I have not done this yet, but it may be worth a try for you?
  • Options
    well i tried putting no nappy on him and again he just kept crying and asking for a nappy,el mac-i agree nappies are just too comfy and ccbmommy thats a great idea,will take him shopping next week for pants

sarah
  • Options
    I introduced the potty in the living room for a couple of weeks before starting. dd used to sit on it fully clothed to watch tv, she used to go and get it to just sit on. We then introduced the idea of wees and poos in it and for a few days went cold turkey with no knickers at all, she found the fuss of knickers/pull-ups too much when she had the urge to go! I set aside a few days and literally we stayed in the house rather than sending mixed messages by putting a nappy on to go out.

The next step was knickers, she chose Dora and Peppa pig ones and we used these in the house. If she messed in them she knew she would just have plain ones to wear so this was a good incentive. She had huggies pull-ups, which again she liked as they had disney princesses on them, for the first couple of weeks if we were going any distance or if I knew she would fall asleep in the car as I didn't want to put her in a situation where she might be wet and knock her confidence.

After this she wore knickers all the time. It was a long slog, we tried when she was 27 months and she simply wasn't ready, 2 months later she was obviously ready. Some days weren't easy, she would strop and wet herself on purpose and I felt like sticking a nappy back on her but I'm glad now that I didn't. It was very messy at times especially with her baby sister about who had just started crawling but the first week was the worst, just stick to your guns and try to be positive. I found if I got cross it would make her worse - easier said than done sometimes!

Best of luck! xx