Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Kinda potty training q - 19 month old

Hi,

The last few nights when we are running ds bath he demands to be put on the toilet. He will happily sit there with me holding him then gets some toilet role and tries to wipe (he hasnt done anything while sitting on it). He is only 19 months and almost certainly copying us. I was wondering if I should take this further. I was thinking of buying a potty or toilet seat for him and just let him sit on if he wants. I dont feel that he is ready for proper training yet. He will indicate to us that he has done a no2 but doesnt seems to know when he is going to do a no1, just seems in shock when his legs get wet.

Do you think I should give it a go? Im pregnant with no 2 and would like to get him potty trained by May next yr but not too worried if hes not.

Thanks

Emma x

Replies

• Options
    ds2 is 21 months and hes started to tell me that hes doing or done a poo,iam very tempted to try but ds1 hes 3 and hes not bothered about the potty at all,hes just not interested in it,so iam hoping this might get him interested in it but also dd1 shes 21 months (twins) shes also not interested yet,its a minefield arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

anyway...... you could always give it a go and see what happens,it wont do any harm in trying
  • Options
    That's good. Charlotte is nearly 18 months & the only indication I get that she's pooped is the stink!! She'll sit in it forever if I don't notice!
  • Options
    thats fab image my dd is 19 months too and we have a potty still in the house from ds potty training ...dd LOVES having no nappy on and will happily sit on the potty but very rarely does a wee on it ...on the weekend she did a wee but was terrified when we made a fuss and showed her it :lol: there is no harm having a potty around the house and allowing him to be free when your in the house image xx
  • Options
    My dd is 19m too and we brought a potty a couple of months ago. She done really wel, got used to it very quickly to my surprise and produced lots of wees and poos. I did it casually for couple of wks, even put her in knickers some of the time just for couple of hours. We didnt get many accidents but i knew she didnt know how to hold her wee and i only knew she wanted to go cos she fidgeted. I stopped it a few wks ago and will try again when she is maybe 21m. I would like to do proper training when she is around 2 if i think she is ready. She tells me when she has done a poo - lucky for me she comes straight to me and says mummy poo poo, and occasionally tells me before she goes but she isnt ready yet.

I say give it a go because is like me all you achieve is getting them used to the potty then you have still achieved something. DD is now used to the potty and knows what its for so i hope when i try again we can move on a step. I dont want to do it for 6m plus, my friends just trained her little boy who is just over 2 1/2 and he was dry in a week and pooing on the potty after 2wks.