Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Q...Dry at night?

Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone can help me. Lily has been daytime potty trained for a while now, since around Sept. She rarely has accidents in the day.

At naptime I usually put her a pull up on and leave the potty in her room. Recently she has stopped going on the potty and going in the pull up instead. I tried her napping in knickers today and she wet her pants (and the bed and pillow?!) and did a poo in her pants. I assume this was while she slept.

When she wakes in a morning her pull up is usually really full of wee.

So really I just want to know, is there usually a time gap between getting them dry in the day and dry at night? Should I only try night training when she has less/no wee in her nappy in the morning? And is there anything I could do to help things along or is it a wait and see thing?

I was just a bit concerned as my mum said that my bro was dry in the day and also dry at night at the same time image

Replies

• Options
    hI my LO is dry in the day too has been since was bout 20 months but he is not ready during the night!!!

They say best time to do during the night is when they have a full week or so of dry nappies in the morning

I have the odd day now where he is dry but not 7-10 in a row imageimage

I would recomend waiting till she is dry for atleast a week dont no how old your LO is but the book say most children start holding wee in there sleep at around 3 obviously there are exceptions lol

Plus trying at night when they are not ready can really effect there confordence during the day also

Hope this helps imageimage
  • Options
    Aw thank you hun! I will wait until I see a run of dry nappies in the morning then...if it ever happens :lol: She's 2 and a half so maybe she's still a bit young. At least I feel reassured now, I thought from what my mum said that she should be dry at night almost straight away after being dry in the day.

• Options
    Hi,

I saw my HV today for my youngest dd and asked her the same question, my eldest dd has just turned 3 and has been dry in the day for 6 months or so but still is wet at night quite often. She said to wait for dry nappies for 2 weeks as it really unsettles them if you try it when they're not ready. She also said in her experience (been a HV for 20 yrs and is absolutely fantastic) that only 50% of 3 and a half yr olds are dry at night. I found this advice comforting as I thought by the age of 3 she might be dry at night.

Like you said, it's worth waiting until they're ready before taking the nappy away. xx

• Options
    Thanks Donk, that is really reassuring. I'm glad you have such a nice HV. We rarely get to see ours, we don't have our own HV just one who visits the surgery 1 hour a week image and there are a lot of babies in our village so it's just a nightmare.

I think I underestimated how long it can take for lo's to be fully potty trained. I don't want to upset her or ruin her daytime dryness so it's back to pull ups for now.

xxx