Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Your thoughts on intensive potty training

Hello, i've posted this all over just to try and get a good response! Evie's 2years and 2 months now and We've had a potty for about a year, which she understands vaguely that it's for poo's and wee's and very occasionally will ask to sit on it, but hasn't produced anything yet. We've never officially started training yet though. She did ask a month or so ago for some big girl knickers, which she chose herself, but has never wanted to wear them yet.

She knows when she needs to poo/is pooing and lets us know so she can be changed, but doesn't appear to know when she is weeing. If she has her nappy off and has an accident (say before getting in the bath) she looks quite suprised at the puddle as though she doesnt quite get where it came from.

She is a very bright girl, can communicate very well and can take off her own trousers, i do think she'd pick up toilet training very quickly if we focussed on it quite intensley. during the week i work part time and she has different people looking after her each day, and i can't help but think that potty training would be less successful if she has different peopple using different approaches and the interuptions of going out places and things. I feel just doing it casually will prolong it and excuses will be made to use nappies here and there.

What i think would work for us is for me to take a week off work, arrange loads of fun activities to do at home, ditch nappies, introduce knickers potty and toilet seat, and just go for it, i do feel she will be receptive but if she was unhappy with this i certainly wouldnt push it onto her.

Has anybody tried intensive training before or know anybody who has? does anybody have any stories/tips/oppinions on this? I'm a little anxious but do feel she is ready! i would LOVE to hear what you all think of this method!

Replies

• Options
    hi hun, i potty trained my DD in a few days, litterally was that fast!
    She was 26 months too and i bought her loads of pants [you will need about 20 odd pairs for the first few days. anyway i just took off her nappy and put on pants, she wet once and i said "quick quick, run to the potty!" and after that it was a game! i also bought a potty that played music and all i have to say now is "Do you need to pee or make music?" and she will say either yes or no, she also went dry through the night straight away too. Not sure if its normally this easy but it was for us, once she felt herself getting wet once or twice that was it and she then knew what she was doing to get like that and knew to go to the potty was the way to prevent it.
    Good luck. xxxx
  • Options
    thats a really great experience no2bump!! i hope my dd takes to it as quickly. its given me a little more confidence! thank you X
  • Options
    LInzimc I have bought the Gina Ford book which is potty training in about a week (haven't read it yet but it was recommended by a friend). Iplan on starting in March or April when the weather is slightly warmer to make removing clothes a bit easier. Neve will be 27/28 months.
  • Options
    Like Lottie & Neve I have bought the GF book (never in my life thought I would buy a book of hers)! Not sure if I will use it as a rule but some good pointers in there. I will probably do it in the summer when I think (and hope) Charlotte will be ready (she'll be nearly 2 and half then). She will sit on the potty too and seems better at sitting on it with no nappy on. When at my sisters I also let her watch her youngest (2 and half) use the loo as she now goes by herself. We were out today and my sis took her lo to the loo, turned round and saw Charlotte there with her tights & nappy round her ankles shouting "toilet"!! So she's slowly getting there.
  • Options
    CCB,

that really made me laugh - exactly the kind of thing Neve would do.

In a bid to make potty training more appealing I have been stocking up on Peppa Pig pants - Neve is bonkers about Peppa Pig so probably what will happen is that she will spend all day showing people her pants.

Hope you are feeling a bit better about things, I know its been hard for you lately.
  • Options
    From what I hear it's how most people potty train their kids & is successful, I'm planning on doing it in the summer though as I'm guessing we'll be doing lots of washing! I'm planning on stocking up on some cheap pants, with cars or trains on as Gabe's mad about anything with wheels lol.

Anyway, it sounds like your lo is exactly the same as Gabe, he's 21 months. He tells you before or when he does a poo, he grabs his nappy and says 'poo' lol. (He never wants to be changed though, he hates being changed!) He knows how to say 'wee wee' and sometimes will say it but like Evie, I don't think he really knows when he's wet? He drinks a LOT and consequently wees all the time so much that if he's in a nappy more than about 2 / 3 hours it gets really sopping wet! What bothers me is he doesn't mind, if he doesnt know when he's weeing and doesnt mind being wet then how will potty training work?!

I'm going to be waiting till summer anyway as I definitely don't think he's quite ready yet! I won't be taking a week off work for it though, as I need to save my holidays, and I only work 3 days anyway. His nan has him when I'm at work & he's really close to her so hope he'll be OK.

xxx
  • Options
    i potty trained my daughter end of aug beginning of sept she was 2 in oct she got it really quick in a week shes still in pullups at night but has started getting up for a wee at night over the past few weeks im hoping to ditch the pullups soon.So yes i think intensive is they way to go i got oh to take a week off when we started as i thought it was going to be worse.i kept her bare waist down for first 2 days then just pants for a few days then just put clothes on her and it went fine good luck
  • Options
    Only just seen this as we were away, but like Lara said we had huge success training Millie like this. She picked some pants, and a potty, that she liked and then on the first day she helped me throw all the nappies in the bin. First day she did sit on the potty in front of the tv about every hour, but didn't manage to do anything in it, we had about 4 accidents but I didn't make a big deal out of it, just cleaned it up. 2nd day we had a couple of accidents then something seemed to just click and that was it. We trained her a year ago and I can count on one hand the number of accidents she's had since. After about a week she was waking up with consistently dry nappies so we stopped using them at night as well, and she's never had an accident at night.
    As long as you are sure they are ready, and it sounds like Evie is, then I think intensive training is definitely the best way to do it. I'll definitely be doing it the same way with Barney when he is big enough. If she isn't getting the hang of it after 2-3 days you can always go back to nappies and try again in a few weeks.
    xx