Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pubic Bone Pain

Hi, I'm 39 weeks pregnant and for the last 4-5 weeks my pubic bone has been quite painful. It started off as a bruised feeling as though I had been kicked in that region but now I cant get out of a seat, cross my legs or even turn over in bed without the bone being very painful.

I am also struggling to open my legs, especially the left leg!

I have told my midwife about this on 2 seperate occassions but she has told me its just down to the weight of the baby and its normal however, I'm getting worried that as I cant open my legs very far actually giving birth may prove to be difficult!

Has anyone else had this problem and can offer some advice?

Thanks

Replies

• Options

Hi Rachel,

I'm afraid i can't really offer you any advise, although form my limited knowledge, couldi t be SPD? I'm sure the others can help you lots more!

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to PP image

Tasha xx

• Options

A friend of mine had SPD and if you had that it you wouldnt be able to walk from 4 months onwards she was on cruches and for the last 6 weeks in a wheelchair. But even if it is she was still able to delivery normally. The doctors tried to force her to have a c section but she really forced the issue of normal birth. During the last hour she was in a alot of pain and they were about to take her down to theatre anyway but she said just let me have 3 more contractions and Baby Seth was born.

Hope that helps and just be reassured in knowing you dont have long to go. 

• Options
    Hi Rachel,
    Sorry that you are in pain. I have no experience of this but just wanted to say hi and welcome to PP. I have a daughter age'd 9, son age'd 7 and am 8 weeks pg. I hope you don't have to wait much longer to meet your baby.
    Take Care.
    Pauline x
  • Options

hello there sounds like SPD to me. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and have just started with a mild version of it - lots of pubic bone pain like bruising and general hip pain when moving.....my midwife just refered me to a physiotherapist so I'm hoping that helps

I'm also a bit worried it'll affect the delivery but the midwife said it might be a good idea to consider epidural.

Perhaps you should press the point with your midwife a bit? I can't understand why she hasn't done more xx

• Options
    lets hope all goes well for you. My friend does have the severe side of it and even to the point now Seth is 2 she is waiting for a operation to reset her bones. But that was the really severe side. And she had a normal birth with epidural
  • Options

Thank you all for your advice, I've got an appointment with the doctor next  week so I will press the issue with him and see what he says about SPD.

Not long to go now anyway!

x

• Options

hi rachelS from rachel S too (lol)

i had spd i know how u feel mine started about 30 weeks had phsyio and they were concerned beacuse i could bearly open my legs (how was i supposed to give birth)

i was advised not to have epidural as i wouldnt beable to feel if i was hurting my pelivs while giving birth

try a support belt it did easy the pain a bit i was also given codine tablets to take the edge off the pain and they did work

good luck

rachxxxx