Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

will your new baby share a room?

my son is 2 and my second due in may, we may have to move and downsize from our 3 bed, but im worried about the baby sharing with my poor sleeper 2 yr old. i wouldnt put baby in with him until they were sleeping threw but i wondered if im worrying to much and actually own bedrooms is a luxury? do yoir kids share?

Replies

• Options
    I'm in the same situation pretty much. Although we're not moving, it's just we only have a 2 bed house. We've put in plans for an extension but even if they get approved (and I'm not convinced they will), we won't be able to have it built before baby no 2 arrives in May. My sons room is pretty small too and I'm not sure we could fit a cot and a single bed in there so I'm not sure what we're going to do!! I'm also worried about them waking each other up but at the moment the actual space is more of a concern. If we can't get planning, we will have to move I think, but that might take ages as it's such a slow market out there. My friend who also has a 2 bed house and baby no 2 due in 4 weeks has had her house on the market since July and not even a single offer image

Yikes!
  • Options
    Dunno if this helps but I always shared a room growing up with my 2 sisters. Personally I think own rooms are a luxury to many families and as a kid I wouldnt say my life was awful coz I shared.

I moved in with my sister once I started sleeping through and my younger sister moved in with us around the same age (think we were about 9 months). Mum had to use some creative storage solutions (bunk beds and a cabin bed !) but it was fine.

The trouble comes if the kids are different genders as then the law gets involved regarding what age they can share up to (one of the reasons my brother always had his own room !)
  • Options
    My younger two share a room, baby will have it's own room and my two older children have their own rooms.

We were very lucky as when we sold our london home and moved to Seaford we could buy a bigger house, we had 3 bedrooms before and now have 5.
  • Options
    well thats the thing, we have 3 bedsroom but we dont like were we live, w want to go back to london-we live in kent.

but it would mean downsizing to afford it.
  • Options
    Jake will have just gone 2 when baby arrives and they will be sharing a room (obviously once babys not in with me) and he is the worlds worst sleeper! Ive got a travel cot but bought a proper mattress for it as i think if i had normal cot he would stick his hands through the bars and grab the baby! lol x
  • Options
    for us if they do share it wont be forver, when i go back to work we will work towards a 3 bed, but that said unless this ones a girl, we ggod i believe till he is 12.
  • Options
    My son is thankfully a good sleeper, but my two will share a room - we're in a 2 bed and cant afford to move, so they have no choice! we've bought bunk beds that can be made into two singles, ready for when new baby is old enough to need a big bed, as 2 singles would never fit.

Going to be tight with bed, cot & wardrobe but we'll manage! Boys and girls can share rooms no matter how old they are, there is no law (I studied this at uni) but you are classed as 'overcrowded' if you dont have enough rooms to separate boys from girls after the age of about 8, thats all. Nothing to stop you doing it, or saying you shouldn't, the housing assiciation just picked an age where they felt priority should be given to families needing rehousing if they were 'overcrowded' and thats what they came up with!

Even if new baby is a girl they will still share. xx
  • Options
    DS will be 18 months when this one arrives and if this baby is a light sleeper like DS will be sharing sooner than 6 months, we do have a 3 bed but hubby works from home a lot so needs an office x
  • Options
    We do have the space for separate rooms but still plan for them to share when the littlest starts sleeping through (ish). We live a long way from family and it's really important we have a spare bedroom for them as we get at least a monthly weekend long visit from either my family of DH's. I'm not sure what age that would go up to. Guess it will also depend on whether I end up with two girls or whether this one is a boy x
  • Options
    do any of you have a flat?
  • Options
    We live in a 2 bed. I have 2x DD's (Age 14 & 10) they share a room.

We have a blue bump on the way and a obvious age gap too. Baby will simply have to share with us, until we come up with a solution - Goodness knows what that will be though? image xxx
  • Options
    is it a house or falt if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    is it a house or falt if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    Hi, my kids wont be sharing as we have 3 beds, however new babies room is a proper box room, and I would like more in the future, so at some point we will have kids sharingimage

we plan to convert the loft at some point, and my OH and I will take that as our room, leaving two large and one small bedroom for the kids. However that will not be for quite some years as we have to save up for it still and haven't even started...

when I was younger I never had my own room until about 15 or so when my older sister moved out. As young kids, my brother and I shared a box room! It was never an issue to us as we never knew any different, so I do not think it is anything to worry about - though long term probably not ideal with two kids of different genders.

xx
  • Options
    even if thi sone is a girl, it wont be forever . so by the time they at a gae that they should have own space we would have moved.
  • Options
    we have a 3 bed and have 3 girls already the eldest 2 have always shared a room cant seperate them there is only 12 months in age between them, and our youngest daughter has her own room, were getting an attic converstion end of this yr so will have an extra room but baby boy will share with dd3 till we can have a big swap around, we've never had a problem.x x
  • Options
    thats good to no.x its glad to see so many of us have our LO'S share, makes me feel less guilty about down sizing
  • Options
    We have a 3 bed house and this is our 3rd baby, we do have the luxury of splitting our 3rd bedroom as its the size of the garage. We will do this should the baby be a girl if its another boy we may just stick with the big room and see how they get on with sharing.

I think the children will enjoy sharing at least until they get to a certain age anyway
  • Options
    yes thats what i think, as they get older they prob want own space
  • Options
    We have a one bed flat so we will def all be sharing!!!! It will be a bit of a squash but we have tried to sell it and the market is so bad we just can't. Its been on the market for nearly 2 years! We are thinking of renting it out and renting somewhere bigger ourselves but its a pain to have to do that and will cost us more than at the minute. But people in the middle east live whole families in one room so I'm sure in the short term we will be fine- as long as kids have love they don't need alot else

xxx