Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

water birth weight restrictions??

Hi i'm hoping to have a water birth as think it will help me through labour.

this will be my first birth and it's only occured to me today that they may have weight restrictions?

My BMI is 33 so i'm now not hopeful of being able to have one - does anyone know what the restrictions are?

thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    It depends if you want a hospital or Home Birth?

If you have chosen a HB, you can do what you like, just hire or buy a birth pool and do your own thing.

If you are choosing a hospital birth, they may have weight restrictions but you need to ask because each hospital is different. Also if you are having a hospital birth then regardless of BMI, you may not get to use the pool anyway, if its busy or 'out of use' you just have to accept that??

I'm having a HB and have bought my own pool

Good luck image xxx
  • Options
    I was wondering about the same thing, my hospital has a BMI restriction of 35 but some have lower ones, so you better ask your midwife.

And ask about some details because some hospitals will let you in the pool before the pushing stage even if you have a higher BMI, you just have to come out to push.

I really hope that you get what you want

xx
  • Options
    why is there a bmi restriction?? is it incase you flood the place or something?? or am i totally wrong!!!!!?
  • Options
    Samjleo, it's in case there are complications and they need to lift you out.

That said, if you are really tall and normal weight you can be heavier than a rather small woman with BMI 30 so it seems strange but I think they have to use a BMI instead of weight restriction for correctness...
  • Options
    high bmi = higher risk so not regarded as a low risk labour
  • Options
    it's not on weight, it's bmi, if ur bmi is 35 or over then ur high risk and thus birth centres and water births (even in hospital) are out...with a bmi of 33 ur fine...if ur bmi is high then ur at ????ore risk of certain things, like gd, pet and more likely to have complications in pregnancy and/or labour...nothing to do with weight on it's own, but height to weight ratio.
  • Options
    ok thanks for info... would love a waterbirth but in reality compared to my dramarous last birth it wont be happening.. good luck ladies image
  • Options
    High BMI does not always result in high risk pregnancy, I have a BMI of 36 and am low risk because I am fit and also carry my weight on bum and thighs so my waist-hip ratio is still in healthy range.

Still no water birth though because of BMI.
  • Options
    thats annoying - looks like i'll have to wave bye bye to a water birth then, going to see my midwife for a sweep tomorrow so will ask her then if she knows

thanks for the replies ladies and good luck with your bumps xx