Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Travel systems

Morning Ladies.

So glad it's almost the weekend!

Now I have a question re car seats and prams.

The pram I like is a travel system, and comes with a forward and rear facing pushchair, and a carry cot. You can also buy the car seat and adapters to match so it can also be fixed to the chasis. I just wondered how many of you had bought a similar system, and if you get much use out of the car seat on the pram. I know your only supposed to leave them in the car seat for a couple of hours at most.

I am just wondering if the car seat that matches is worth bothering with. I have actually seen a mamas & papas car seat in the sales and its half price, and since both my hubs and I have a car, that would mean I can get us a car seat each for same price as the one that matches the pram.

Thoughts appreciated xx

Replies

• Options
    With my DD (now 9 months) I bought the full system and, I have to say, only ended up using the car seat on the chassis a handful of times. I'm looking at buying a new double pushchair atm but won't be bothering with a carseat that attaches - will just use DD newborn one.

I guess it all depends on where you will be going / what you will be doing.

HTH

K x
  • Options
    I thought a lot about this as we're in the same boat as you, two cars etc. anyway I did the research and like you say they now say cars seats are for cars and you shouldn't be carrying the baby around in one as research has shown it depleats their oxygen levels as their posture isn't correct in a car seat - now I know there are probably loads of people that will disagree but this is a fairly new study and on that basis and the basis that I have a bad back and the thought of trying to carry a car seat (anywhere up from 15lbs) with a 8lb+ baby in it around was very off putting to me as I don't think I would manage that for long at all - I also decided to buy a car seat that will last a long time so brought a convertable one that will take a child from newborn up to 70lb so it will basically last until it then only needs a booster seat - that way I could spend more money to get the best and one of the safest car seats I could!

Hope it helps you decide - it ceratinly took me a lot of time going over stuff and making a decision!
  • Options
    I bought a travel system only used car seat on it about 5 times. As soon as she was about 6 months and sitting up I never used the travel system again as stroller was bulky and used a small cheap umbrella folding pushchair. Not buying expensive pushchair for second!
  • Options
    hi we have ordered mothercare excursion, whcih is basically forward and rear facing pushchair and matchng carseat that clicks onto chassis.

as someone else said you are not meant to have baby in car seat for longer than 2hrs i think is is??? so it is really handy if you are going say to a supermarket wuickly or somewhere else local, and dont want to take baby out of carseat into pram etc for such a short trip...if i was going out for the day i would take baby out carseat and into lie flat part of pushchair, as it just seems more comfy, they can stretch out etc.

so basically to answer your question...i wouldnt bother about getting the one that comes with it, and just have seperate carseat as this is better for baby anyway.

obviously it depends how much driving you do, what your lifestye is and where you typically go each day. if getting the click on carseat suits your life then go for it, as im sure you woudl be aware of not keeping baby in it for too long anyway.

laura 29+6 with no. 3 xx
  • Options
    Ive bought a complete travel system but the pram will last until lo is 3_4 years old. We bought the car seat to match for now as obviousky need one and it made sense for quick trips into shop if baby sleeping but we wont be using it for pro longed periods of time. We bought the silvercross surf as it will last for our next baby. It all depends on what you want from your pram but there is nothing to stop you buying a seperate car seat, just have to take baby out of it and into pram each time. X
  • Options
    We never used our car seat on ours, mostly because converting it from a pram to a pushchair to put the carseat on to was too much of a pain. If we were going to the supermarket we would just get one of them trolleys that you put the carseat on the top of, otherwise we'd get the pram out.