Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anal Fissures and C-Sections - very personal (sorry)

I apologise if this is too much info for some.

I suffer from piles and an anal fissure which i have had for 14 years image i still bleed when passing a stool if I dont take fibregel regularly.

My question is about giving birth. Because of my history with this, can I opt for a C-section if I want to? or will they make me have a natural birth.

I know that when you are pregnant, all sorts of horrible things go through your mind but I am absolutely terrified of what might happen if I give birth naturally, especially if it is a long labour as those are the muscles that I will be pushing with.

Can anyone please put my mind at rest? I will of course be speaking to my midwife at every opportunity about this, but just wondered what your thoughts/opinions are and if you have any advice for me?

xx

Replies

• Options
    I too have suffered from anal fissures for years but unlike you, mine seem to clear up periodically and then return sometime later, so it's more short-term suffering.

Personally I don't think they'd give you a CS for this reason. Your body still prepares for labour and although a CS won't put this area under the pressure labour would, it could still be affected. There's a lot of hormonal changes that happen to your body, I couldn't have sex for months because my vagina didn't feel right, even though I never went into labour and had a CS. Sorry if that's too much information, just wanted to share my experience.

Best advice is talk to your midwife and gather as many facts as possible as you can. Sorry I can't be of more help xx
  • Options
    I too suffered from them after having a 3rd dgre tear with my DD nvr had any Physio (the NHS forgot about me apparently) and just continued using Fybergel whenever things got to much.

My Consultant offered me a CSEC this time around because they dont know what damage was done with previous labour. However the Gyno said I could easily labour naturally too. So I wouldnt worry to much about it.

You might find if you labour naturally and have to have intervention there completely deal with anything thats going on down there and then you should have the pyshio and all the relivant information given to you within the first 6-12wks of recovery.

Good luck. xx
  • Options
    I ended up having a c-sec and found that i was really really badly constipated, which my MW said would be down to the fact i had surgery - i think it may make things worse for you xx
  • Options
    I have had a fissure for a number of years and use fybogel when it reoccurs. I laboured naturally with Lucy and had an assisted delivery with forceps.

I was terrified of going to the loo after the birth, so i made sure i drank gallons of fresh orange juice and ate LOADS of fruit......and i was absolutely fine image

Defo chat to your midwife about it if you are concerned though, but mine was totally fine x x x