Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Did anyone have an early '12 week' scan?

Hi ladies, this is my first time posting in pg, usually hang out in DIS. HOpe you don't mind me popping in for some advice?

I'm 8+3 (I think) and saw the midwife this Thurs for booking in. She said she'd arrange my scan and it could end up being at 10 weeks as they're doing them earlier. Apparently they can see just as much.

I've not actually had the date yet but just wondered if this is standard in other areas? The positive is i get so see if little peanut is alright a bit sooner (am panicking at the mo) but I'm not confident they'll be able to see as much.

Any advice greatly received. THanks in advance.

Peanut xxx

Replies

• Options
    I had a private scan at 10+3 and it was actually better than my 12 week scan (which was at 12+4 i think)!! It was amazing. Legs were so long!

Could see baby doing somersaults and bouncing around the sac whereas by the 12 week scan she was much bigger and just wiggled a bit.

• Options
    I had a private scan at 10 weeks and an NHS scan at 12+3 and they were the same. Well, the private scan was much more personal and reasuring but they checked the same things - mainly the heartbeat and that the baby has two arms, two legs, one head and heartbeat. The main differance is the size. Still got lovely photos though xxx
  • Options
    I had my NHS scan at 10+4 - more of an accident really as GP put me at due earlier than I thought I was (who am I to argue with the expert!!) The scan was fine though - they saw all they needed and gave me a new due date. The only thing I noticed was that the baby does grow quite a bit between 10 and 13 weeks. So my pic, although lovely and clear, was not as good as someone who's was done at 13 weeks. You could clearly see baby shape etc on screen but pic was not great. It was a superb experience though and I hope yours is just as lovely. x

Mrs EH 21+2
  • Options
    as my cycles are long i had my scan with DS at 10+3 and with this one at 10+6, they were both fine, we could see baby and the HB just fine x
  • Options
    They booked mine for 11 weeks exactly and I had to return the following week as the baby was too small for the nuchal measurements. If you are not having the nuchal/combined scan then it probably doesn't make too much difference xx
  • Options
    I had mine at 10 weeks exactly and you could see everything clearly, arms, legs, heatbeat. Just make sure you go with a fullish bladder as apparently the scans are a lot clearer if you have a full bladder. x
  • Options
    my nhs scan was at 11w1d, so this was an earlyish one for nhs! i also had a private one at 9w. to be honest my nhs one the lady put the thing on my tum and said 'theres your baby theres the heartbeat not much else to see because they are too small' gave me stuff to wipe me tum and off i went.. so glad i had an early private one as that was so much nicer.
  • Options
    You need to be 11 weeks and 6 days for the nuchal scan. It cant be detected under that. If its just checking baby and the size, ten weeks will be fine x
  • Options
    I was 11+3 for my first nhs scan and they got me back at 12+4 cause they said it was too early. I didn't mind as I got another look at my wee baby! if you're baby is too small you'll probablt be invited back so i wouldn't worry too much.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your reassurance.

Spoke to the midwife and she booked me in for this Thursday when I'd be 9 weeks but I've asked her to change it as felt that was too early. IT'll now be at 11 weeks so less than 3 weeks to wait YAY!!

Peanut (8+5) xx
  • Options
    I had a scan at 8+4 and couldnt believe how well formed little bean was already! It was amazing, I could see the head, heartbeat and legs.

I imagine if they dont get all the measurements they need they will book you in for another a week or 2 later anyway.
  • Options
    I had my scan at 11+6 but only because they were fully booked the week before when I was meant to be booked in, in my area they now like to scan between 10 and 12 weeks as routine, as they don't offer the nuchal on my PCT. x
  • Options
    I was 10 weeks when I had mine! Only downside to having the first scan early was the extra 2 week wait for the 2nd scan!!! 12 weeks was toooo long! x
  • Options
    We had a scan at 8wks and all we really saw was a blolb and flickering heartbeat. Then our NHS scan at 10+5 was great as baby had developed so much and you could really see its head, arms and legs. we had our nuchal at 12+6 and again baby had changed so much and the scan took ages so we got to see baby for longer which was good.

I don't think you should worry. x