Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Successful pregnancy with a cyst?

Hi ladies, I have a question that i'm hoping someone could answer and possibly maybe make me feel a little better.. I found out last year when I mc'd that I have cyst on my left ovary. The doctors didn't see the need to do anything about it which was fine. I then went on to mc again and the cyst was mentioned again (different hospital). This was in August'10. I've been having follow up scans, the last being 5 Jan'11 where I was told it was 9cm (it's a dermoid cyst which apparently many women have without knowing). My consultant said it was not absolutely necessary but advisable (but my decision) to have it removed; it did not cause my miscarriages and is not likely to cause another but theres a small chance it could grow with a new pregnancy and possibly burst.

I decided to go ahead with the surgery, then found out i'm pregnant. I'm very excited, but also extremely nervous because of my previous mc's and the fact I have this cyst. I haven't spoke to my consultant yet but when I asked him at the start of the month what would happen if I fell pg before the surgery he said nothing and that it would be re-scheduled until i'd had the baby.

Has anyone had anything like this and had a succesful pregnancy or know of anybody who has? I don't know of anybody and starting to worry. I know the consultant said it wasn't an issue if I fell pg again but I didn't think I would and now I have i'm starting to really worry xx

Replies

• Options
    When I went for my 12 wk scan with my DD I was told I had a Cyst on my Ovary which I never knew about.

It hadn't caused me any problems. It was checked again at 20weeks and with all the hormones roaming around my body it had actually shrunk by itself.

2nd Pregnancy and it hasnt returned after 4years. So you could have the chance that is disapears too.

• Options
    Hi there. When I was pregnant with my DD they picked up a dermoid cyst on my left ovary at my 12 week scan. At the 20 week scan they couldn't see it (She had pushed it out the way). It caused me no problems at all. I had it removed about 3 months after having her (so op was in July) and I am now pregnant again (so it all also caused me no ongoing fertility problems). I think they *can* twist and need operating on but that is not connected to pregnancy - it can happen at any time. Any severe pain and go straight to A&E - I read quite a few accounts when I was pregnant of women that had them successfully removed during pregnancy if this did happen.

HTH K x
  • Options
    Howdy.

I have an 8cm endo cyst on my ovary. I'm now 24 weeks preg and it hasn't caused any probs. My gynae said it was fine and could stay put and wouldn't cause any problems.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You don't want it removing during pregnancy as you'll be able to take very limited post op painkillers which wouldn't be fun.

If it pops yes it will hurt but it won't actually do any damage. I had a cyst burst and it hurt but ultimately they didn;t do anything except give me antibiotics to avoid an infection.

Good luck and try not to worry

R x
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your replies, you really have made me feel a bit better about it. It's crazy how a doctor says it should be fine but you never really take notice until you speak to people who have the same issue! I think my previous issues have made me paranoid. Thanks again xx
  • Options
    Hi There,

I am so glad I have found this thread. I am in the exact same position and have been making myself ill with worry. I have been trying to conceive for about 8 years on and off and never thought I would get pregnant. I am 35 and thought time was passing by. We went for tests last November where an ultrasound showed a 10cm cyst, that they thought was an endo cyst orginally. I had keyhole surgery to drain the cyst, however when he went in, I didnt have endo, and the cyst was inside my ovary, he drained it (which I dont think he should have done) and said he thinks its a dermoid, the fluid was benign. 6 weeks later an ultrasound showed at 7cm solid mass which totally scared me, but they still think its a dermoid (I know these contain solid matter such as hair, skin, teeth etc)

I was due for open surgery on the 11th January, and 2 days before the surgery I thought I best do a pregnancy test because I hadnt had a period since my key hole in mid November, I was so shocked that I was pregnant, I was expecting the last operation had messed with my cycle, especially after years of trying, the one month I got pregnant was the month before surgery where I wanted this dermoid out! I am finding it hard to be happpy when I have wanted a baby for so long. I am scared its cancerous, I know its rare, but mine was very large, and I am scared it may not even be a dermoid as I know they cannot say for sure until its out and tested.

My Gyno has offered to take it out at 16 weeks or when I give birth via c section, I am going crazy not knowing and waiting, scared of having surgery at 16 weeks, or leaving it in for so long. I am the worlds biggest worrier and I have read many stories of women just accepting they have a dermoid and happily going through their pregnancy, but for me its really making me worry, I was contemplating having it out now, and I am only 8 weeks 3 days and I know I wold lose the baby, and its the last thing I want, but all I can think about is I have a solid growth. They said they would operate but only because of my phychological state, that makes me feel bad, I am not seeing my Gyno for discussion untl Thursday 3rd feb, by that time I will be 9 weeks 4 days, and by the time he books me in for surgery I will be over 12 weeks anyway, so I may aswell wait for 16 weeks. I just hope its a benign dermoid, and I have this baby safely

Although I wouldnt wish this situation on anyone, its comforting to hear I am not the only one going through this.

Best Wishes

Yvonne