Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any Childminders out there???

Hi

I am considering becoming a childminder as I really don't want to go back to an office job and I have always liked the idea of teaching or looking after young children, I just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to start out as I have read quite a bit and still a little confused as to whether or not I need to do any courses first.

Thanks

Lolli

xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi ive been a childminder 3 years in march, you have to enrol on your local childminding course which is government funded it normally last 6-8 weeks including a safeguarding session (might be different depending on your location and as mine was 3 years ago now might have changed)

you have to do first aid course, register with ofsted and become an ncma member (optional) you also need public liability insurance you can get that with ncma membership a bit cheaper i think, the course is good fun and you learn a lot to do with children and the buisness side of childminding, once the course is over you send off for a CRB and you have ofsted inspect your home as to whether its safe/good enough for young children, theres also quite a lot of paperwork involved in childcare as the early years requirements have stepped up a notch in the past 3 years, so you just need to be a bit savvy on that side of things come your first graded inspection after 6 months of you working as a childminder.

childminding itself is a good job, you get to be a stay at home working mum, work with young children and freedom.. although in my experience parents can be tough, contracts can be tricky if parents dont agree, havign children run riot in your home can be a bit manic but the money is great and to be at home with your own children nothing beats that.. give it a go but definately give it some thought as can be v expensive in start up costs aswell as memberships to ofsted & ncma etc..

good luck!! image
  • Options
    I'm also a childminder and in my area you have to do a briefing session first they only run twice a year here then you enrol on a course called the dhc1 course this also includes a first aid course think it costs around ??100 they give you all the paperwork and once sent off you have to just wait for crb and health declerations some gp's charge alot mine was ??45. Then you have ofsted out who then check your home for safety and deide if your fit to childmind.

The paperwork is hard going especially sinceI have an 18month old baby but once you get started and get used to things its pretty straight forward. I love being at home with my son I access all the toddler groups so he benefits from that to. Parents can be difficult but you just have to be firm from the beginning I have been lucky all my parents have been really nice.

Contact your local early years team and they will send you out the imformation x