Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

One born.....

Did anyone see one born last night?

Did you notice that a lot of the MW were encouraging ladies onto their knees? I spoke to my mum about this, she said it was so much easier (she had my sister this way), now I'm considering it. The babies did seem to deliever quicker.

Also the poor girl in the water bath, her OH would have done my head in.

Does anyone have any immediately after birth plans, who will hold bubba, who will give first feed (if not bf) etc?

I hadn't until I heard a lady last night telling the MW her wishes.

Hope we are all doing well today.

Chowny

xxxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev192pr___.png

Replies

• Options
    I had read that being on your knees helps - thinks it's to do with gravity! And apparently it reduces the risk of tearing too. I think it's something I will definitely try for, anything to make it easier!

I plan on holding first & I will be bf too so I guess that's all me - but I will be letting hubby have a hold after I get the first cuddle! Hubby will be cutting the cord and telling me the sex of the baby first.
  • Options
    sorry im g/c I watched it last night too.

I was on my knees in pool both times and yes I think it helps. if possible you should stand and walk about as much as you can before you get in the pool or before you go on your knees for the last stage as it helps with gravity xx
  • Options
    Erm, dumb question. Where does the Mindwife/doctor stand if you are on all fours? Obviously you and baby are still attached - how do you avoid getting tangled? Do you have to wait until the cord if cut to see the baby? Sorry if those questions sound stupid, Ive never watched one born, im so clueless I have no idea! xx
  • Options
    Either yourself or midwife would catch baby as they come out and then pass him/her to you if that's your wishes. If you want the cord cutting first i assume they'll do that first. Midwife will always monitor the action end no matter what position your in i assume (not had my baby yet so just assuming).

However, if you ended up labouring on all fours on the floor and wanted to get comfy on the bed before you hold i would assume they'd have to cut the cord first else you'll have baby hanging out of you as you move :lol: Although i suppose if you wanted to wait before having the cord cut someone would just carry baby with cord hanging out and follow you to the bed. I think a lot of it is what you want to happen so long as it's realistic and safe.

xx
  • Options
    hey glitter bug, they get the cord sorted really quick, then get you something clean to sit on before passing bubba to you. You should watch one born, it's quite informative but don't worry about all the screaming, I'm sure some of them are putting it on for the camera's. I grunted a lot but nothing on the scream levels of some of these ladies. Last weeks was the best if you have 4OD, lydia was fantastic and the welsh lady was brilliant when she said "I've just had a baby!"

I'm loving this programme, OH said he doesn't want to see the head being born as he knows he'll faint, but this programme is helping him get used to it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I feel so thick! Ive just watched the opening credits on 4OD and burst in to tears, but Im going t0 be brave.
  • Options
    I love this program and it helps prepare us first time mums for the reality - well more so than we were before!

I thought Dean was really annoying but I did feel sorry for him when his gf was being so mean to him.

I reckon the water birth lady needed her OH to be exactly as he was - overly supportive and taking charge. She seemed to need or want looking after more than the other ladies.

I think I am definitely warming to a water birth if possible as it seems so much more relaxed in there.

Looking forward to next week.
  • Options
    I love watching this show even though it does scare me slightly.

When I had DD I started labour laying down and I remeber at one point asking if it was out yet and mw said to me no the head comes out and goes back in again and I said to her I dont want it to go back in. At some point after this I moved (my idea not MWs) and was on my knees with my arms around the back of the bed so I was quite upright. She came out much quicker after this and I did get a small graze that didnt need stitches but I think that if I had stayed laying down it would have been a proper tear.

I will def be doing it that way again this time. I also need to look into water births. I hope I dont have to book them well in advance or anything with my hospital as Ive only just decided I want one and am about ready to drop. image