Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Much more anxious second time around

I am a bit of a mess to be honest! This is my second pregnancy and baby and I am constantly worried that something will go wrong or be wrong with the baby. My screwed up logic is that I have one healthy baby already so surely life isn't that smooth, is it?! When I think rationally about that I then start freaking out that something is going to happen to me and then where does that leave DD?

I'm just so anxious all the time - is it because in our first pregnancies we are blessed with relative naivety but then as the pregnancy progresses we hear about things that *could* go wrong? I should add that I have no indication that something is wrong or is about to go wrong.

Would be really interested to hear of any other second (or more!) timers feel similar!

K x

Replies

• Options
    hi i know how you feel! i am preg with third now, but with my second i was worse than ever.

i think it may be because you know what it feels like to love a child by the time you are preg with second, and so it is even more crucial to you that things go smoothly.

im not saying first time mums dont worry, but i think second time you worry in a different way, because you have more knowledge.

i am also anxious this time, but less so i guess.

just wanted to say you are not alone, and i guess if your first time went well, you worry it cant happen that well twice....but it can. my first two births were fine (well obviously painful etc but nothing went wrong, and my 2 children are happy and healthy, so i do sometimes think can it go so smoothly ANOTHER time...but i just try to tell myself there is no point thinking that way, i am just trying to enjoy it.

i am 39+1 now so i am getting anxious as the birth gets nearer, but overall i know it be fine xx
  • Options
    Ahh sounds like you're stressing quite a bit. I think it can be quite normal to feel worried about the future which is essentially what you're doing, I used to get worried that I'd have an accident and my son would be left without a mum.

I'm pregnant for the second time but the situation is a bit different for us as first time round I hadn't realised that I had an underlying genetic health condition which affects my muscles (just thought I was lazy haha) so I passed it onto my son and he needs quite a lot of care. Whereas this time round I know there is a 50/50 chance that this baby could have the same condition and it could be a worse strain so we are a bit more prepared. I think its different for me now because I have a son with special needs and the possibility of having a second doesn't worry me as much as maybe it did before I had any children.

Don't get me wrong its been a long road and I still worry, I am my son's main carer and I deal with all the appointments and physio sessions etc so if anything happened to me who knows how it would all pan out but I try to think positive. If you let your worries affect your day to day life you'd be so stressed out it wouldn't be good for you.

I try and take time out wherever possible to spend with friends or just relaxing with a swim. Maybe that would help you relax too. How many weeks are you? maybe when you have had your 20 week scan you'll be more reassured
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. It's so nice to know I am not alone!

wannaother - that's interesting that you speak about the birth. My dd ended up in an emcs and I am hoping for an elective with this one to eliminate the element of the unknown. I guess I am a bit of a control freak and maybe the loss of control with the first birth has impacted me a bit more than I thought.

30somethin - thanks for telling me about your situation. I am 16 weeks so, yes, hopefully I will feel better after the 20 week scan. I don't do anything to relax (other than sleep and I feel like I do that with one eye open most of the time - dd is just 11 months) but maybe I should. Try to clear my mind a bit.

Sorry to bring the mood down - my posts are usually much more upbeat than this!!! :roll:
  • Options
    I'm a first timer so this is probably a bit of a pointless post, but just wanted to say - take your first pregnancy as proof that you can cook a baby well image