Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

after an epidural...

HAVE ALSO POSTED THIS IN BABY, BUT THOUGHT ID TRY HERE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT IN THEIR FIRST PREGNANCY...

HI just a quick question...

i had my third baby on monday and had an epidural (for the first time)...the aneasthetist seemed to manage to put it in first time etc and there didnt seem to be any problems with it.

ever since my baby's birth, although the past couple of dasy more so, i have this shooting/pulsing pain up my spine and up to my neck, esp when ive just been going up stairs or hanging washing, although sometimes it just happens when i am sitting down. id say it happens once or twice an hour-ish.

it starts lower than where the epidural was put in and stops up at my neck, but the times when it goes right up to my neck if feel like i have to shrug my shoulders up to make it go away. it is not terribly painful, more uncomfortable and really worrying obviously as its up my back and neck.

please tell me someone else has had this and it goes away??

i phoned hosp yesterday and asked about it and midwife said some people report feelings like this after epidural and it can take a while to go. id really like to know why it is happening and if anyone else has experienced this.

i dont really have pain in the bit of my back it was put in anymore, just this weird pulsing feeling, it kind of feels like i can feel the blood going up my back or feel my heart/pulse up my back if that makes sense, but a bit sorer than just feeling a pulse.

if anyone can tell me what they experienced that would really help me thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    I experienced exactly the same thing after the birth of my DD in 2009. You explained it so well too! I went to my GP about it a few times and could never quite explain myself, and was very worried that perhaps the epidural had in some way damaged some nerves.

I felt the shooting/throbbing pain up my spine whenever I had done something slightly strenuous or if I was ending over baby and suddenly straightened up.

Anyway, long story short, mine did go away, but took a good 4 - 5 months before it stopped completely.

xx
  • Options
    hi radrosh, thanks for your reply. i am glad i am not the only one to have experienced this and you have obviously gotten over it. it is just so worrying cause i was scared of getting an epi for these very reasons (that something weird would happen to my back/nerves etc)...i am still glad i got an epi now, but just wish this feeling would stop xx
  • Options
    i had that after my one in 2007 and it only lasted a couple of weeks if that, after a month all the aches/shooting pains seemed to vanish, so i wouldnt worry i think some people like us are just more prone to the pains!! all the best with your new little one! image xxx
  • Options
    Hi there, I too had an epidural then spinal block, and I too suffered for a while afterwards, not the pain up and down my spine, but a pain that I could directly locate to where they put it in. I too asked the Dr at my 6 wk check and she said it was quite common to have niggles.

Maybe mention yourself at postnatal check if it's still bothering you. And like you, I'm still glad I had the epi, as I couldn't have done it without!!! xxxxx
  • Options
    bless you hun, i had aches when i had mine is 2008, mine was around where the needle/tube was put in but had shooting pains down to my lower bum, was uncomfy and hurt more if i was cleaning, hoovering or bending to bath/change nappy/pick missy up

i spoke to my hv who said some ppl are more prone to after effects, it all dissapeared when belle was about 8/9weeks.

i was just doing the normal and realised i didnt ache xx

hope it goes quickly xxxxxx
  • Options
    Oh poor you. I had terrible pains in my neck a few days after mine. They did go but in the meantime I used a heat pack on it - seemed to help x
  • Options

My little girl is two months on Sunday and I had a emergency c section I also had the epidural and all I have been getting is a bad neck and bad back