Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Prams and bad reviews!!! how do u choose!?

Hi!!!

I have posted something similar in Due in December!!! I am 14+5 and have started to look at buggies (I like to be prepared!!!)

My issue is I find one I like and then I read the reviews and of course there are always some negative ones!! As soon as I read these I change my mind!!! I cant see me ever making my mind up!!!!I have liked the M&P Sola, Mothercare Spin, Silver cross 3D, Graco fusio to name a few!!!

What buggies r u all looking at and how did u make your choice!?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    We have ordered the silver cross surf. cant wait to get to it. it has a small frame and is light so any of my family can use it and pop it in their cars. also just thought it look the part!

cx
  • Options
    My friend has this one and really likes it so it is on my list!!! But again have read some bad reviews!!! let me know how u get on with it!! xx
  • Options
    we were looking at the mothercare trenton. comes with everything u need and is a good price x
  • Options
    I have ordered the sola and it arrives at the end of the month. I LOVE it!

I think the thing to remember with reviews is that they are subjective and so what one person likes you may have. Think another thing if lots of people are reporting same fault in a pram but otherwise just go and have a test drive and see what you loke xx
  • Options
    I had the Silver Cross 3d for my dd and will be using it for this baby as well. There is some bad reviews on this pram but I have never had any problems and just went with what I wanted. There will be people that won't like everything anyway and will be bad reviews about everything you want to buy. Just go with whatever suits your needs more.
  • Options
    If you get the surf, don't have the carseat! It's soooo heavy!! I actually had to go everywhere with my mom in the first few weeks after my c section, and the heavier Maddie gets the more i bash her off everything!!

And also the way it attaches to the base is so stupid, you need big man hands to de-assemble it! As soon as you pop one side off, the weight of the seat and baby is so heavy that when you let go to do the other side, the side you just popped off is forced back on!! Most the time i use the actual pram base and transfer her from her carseat (defeating the object of the whole thing!)

Also you'll see the pram itself doesn't lie flat with or without the newborn nest in. Maddie looks so uncomfortable in it, her neck is in her chest the whole time. And because it's fleecey she sweats in the nice weather! But you can't use it for newborn without the newborn nest given the shape of the pram.

Honestly i'd recommend buying a lie flat pushchair. I wish i'd have one with my original choice, the mothercare my4 or the spin looks good!

Sorry to be so negative but that's my first hand experience over the last 10 weeks.

xx
  • Options
    first of all i would look at what you need to have (on a personal note, i needed to have a carrycot attchment,a raincover that actually fitted the pram!, and a pram both me (at 5ft 1 and hubby at 6ft) could both push)

then look at your price range- your baby doesnt care if he/she is in the lases pushchair as long as its comfy

then once you have that look at what nice little extras you can have with different models and which ones you like the most. we didnt care if a car seat attched to the pushchair as we didnt want to keep baby in carseat whilst shopping (hence wanting the carrycot for pushchair)also once i looked at our budget i found one that was forward and parent facingand this to me was more important than if i could change the colour/get new fabics for it.

we tried out a couple of pushcahirs as we thought we wanted the buzz 4 but after seeing it didnt have the basket space we wanted and 2 men (who worked for quinny!!) could fold the thing at the baby show! we decided on a different pram and ill be honest, we didnt try it out before buying but its fab!!!

• Options
    I used the silvercross 3d for my little girl and loved it. I was going to use it again but think i need a double so am now looking at the Baby Jogger City Min Twin. Id highly recommend the 3D tho.
  • Options
    Sadly no pram/travle system does it all so its really a matter of where you compromise and your lifestyle will determine what you need most or can live without.

Total budget is a good place to start and be careful as some makes come with a lot more accessories than others so you're not always getting a like for like price.

Initially we loved the iCandy buggies but when we went to try them out I couldn't get on with putting them up and down. For me the seat unit felt too low and that baby would be too far from me. I then looked at lots of other buggies and tried to put them up and down until I found the easiest one.

We've just got the Quinny Buzz 3 and love it! I find it much easier to manage than most of the other buggies and the caricot was so much lovelier now its arrived than in the shop. The downside to this buggy is that the fram ca be quite bulky when folded but the lot fits into my fiesta fine - I have to take the wheels off but they clip off easily with little buttons and click back in fine so its no bother for me.

I preferred this over struggling for ages and pulling my back out on the iCandy! :lol:

The main reasons we chose Quinny Buzz was the adjustable handle, cosey carricot, front and rear facing seat, compatibility with maxi cosi's and ease of folding up and down as it has a gad cylinder which means it pops itself up automatically when you take the catch off.image

My advice is to test drive as many as possible - don't buy one without having a go. x
  • Options
    I think the important thing to remember with review websites is that people are much more likely to take the time and effort to write a review if they are dis-satisfied. Like the others say, consider what you need for your lifestyle and try some out x
  • Options
    As the others have noted, you only write a review of you love or hate something. Very few people bother just to give a middle of the road opinion.

You need to consider a few things such as your life-style, your mode of transport and your budget when deciding on a pram. And then make a list of all of the things you would like for it to have in terms of accessories, capabilities etc.

Things I needed to consider were:

Life-style - we do lots of walking so wanted something robust and comfortable. Needed to have good suspension. However I didn't want something that looked as though it was an off-roader - I wanted it to look smart and stylish for nice family days out too.

Budget - for us this really wasn't a consideration. We just wanted to ensure we had the right pushchair so would have spent whatever it took

Transport - We travel mostly by car (large car with large boot), or possibly train, never use buses. As such the size of the buggy when collapsed wasn't a great factor.

Other factors:

??????? Forward rearward facing seat. Very important for speech and language development.

??????? Lie flat carry cot

??????? Car seat compatible - though babies shouldn't be left in car seats for excessive amounts of time it is useful to consider this function. I'll definitely use it for popping to the local out of town shopping area/quick nip in the supermarket.

??????? Good size shopping basket

??????? Required adjustable height handle - my husband and I are very tall

??????? Required a pushchair that didn't seem too low/baby far away from us, particularly when in pram mode.

After making this list we narrowed it down to the following:

??????? Quinny Buzz - carrycot too small and low (though beautifully lined with a soft of fleece or short fur fabric - very snugly), height handle not extensive enough, seat only offers two recline positions when facing parent, small (actually tiny) shopping basket. However it has to be said that the unfold mechanism on this pushchair is divine!!

??????? Stokke Xplory - not bad in terms of handle height and excellent height of pram/seat so baby closer to parents. However the push bar cut through the carrycot and went between babies legs when in pushchair mode and facing parent, so that sort of put me off. Lack of suspension in the end made this a no go.

??????? M&P Sola - not enough adjustment in the handle and pram base too low, actually looked rather odd.

??????? iCandy Apple - This was the overall winner for us. 7 position height-adjustable handle, large shopping basket, large carrycot that isn't too far down the frame, three positions in rear and forward facing pushchair mode, large comfortable seat and fab suspension. Quite a heavy frame when collapsed though I don't really anticipate this being a huge problem. Also compatible with maxi cosi car seats. Went for four wheels as three is quite "sticky"/gets jammed.

Sorry that was so long winded!

It really is all about trial and error. Take some tips from other mothers but don't treat their word as gospel. What you'll find even more so now is that everyman and their dog will want to impress their ideas on you.

Hope that was helpful anyway.
  • Options
    i maybe should have added the one we went for was the stokke xplory. as i said for us, it has everything we need and i love it but have never written a review about it. go test drive as many as you can,that way your know the right one when you try it x
  • Options
    Hiya

we've just bought the M&P sola. We lookied into it alot and this one won it for me every time. As the other ladies have said you have to look at your own needs. we wanted a fairly lightweight easy to manover travel system........... that didn't look like a shopping trolly as i often find the light weight ones do!

i didn't have a problem with the handle adjustment and i'm 5ft9 so pretty tall! we went for the carry cot as out bubs is due in oct however we fell lucky and are buying that for a fraction of the proce of my fried who had it for her LO and its like new as they don't stay in there for long!

my only negative witht he sola was they didn't have a bigenough range of colours i loved the truffel but hubs didn't like the busy orange and green inside when teamed with the footmuff. so we went for black and then got the denim car seat.

Hope you find one you love!! try to go to a place that stocks all different brands then you can compare right next to each other i found this really helpful!! xx
  • Options
    We're having the same problem!

Our daughter will be 18 months old when the new baby arrives so we still need a pushchair that she can go in if I'm walking quite long distances (which I do), so I'm looking into doubles & tandems.

Quite a lot of them though have contradictory reviews, mainly with regards to fitting through doors. Some people say that they can't get it through an average doorway & others say they've not had a problem with this at all!

Don't know what to believe. :?

With our daughter we got the Graco Metrosport travel system which was probably one of the cheapest on the market & its done us proud over the last 13 months. I do a lot of walking & its comfy & robust for our daughter.
  • Options
    Forgot to say, because I don't drive a main consideration for me is basket space too, so I've got the room to carry shopping & stuff.
  • Options
    We decided a couple of years ago we'd get a stokke xplory and have since read about 800 reviews and tried it in a few shops, love it and can't wait to get it.

There will always be bad reviews on items as people only generally review stuff when they passionately love or hate something, if you like it and it suits your needs then get it, don't read much into the bad reviews image

Mrs T and bump xxx