Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Restless Legs...

Is anyone else suffering from restless leg syndrome?

I have it really really bad and its stopping me from sleeping! Not had a full nights sleep in about 10 weeks!

Feel like i'm slowly going insane from lack of sleep and have no idea if there is anything that can help!?

I have tried swimming, walking the dog before bed, going for walks during the day and stretches but NOTHING is helping image Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated image

Replies

• Options
    Hello, I'm not not pregnant but saw this on home page. I get restless leg syndrom in my legs and arms! DH thinks it hilarious but it's not! I don't really have any advice but just wanted to sympathise.

I did see a program once and the man on it used to go outside barefoot on the grass to help him. I sometimes find forcing my self to keep really still help a a bit and I can fall back asleep.

I really hope you find something to help soon.
  • Options
    Hey hun...yes I have it! It's a bloody nightmare! I have found the following to be helpful:

Don't go to bed until you are ready to sleep as lying still aggravates it.

Before you go to bed have a warm bath and take two cocodomol (dr prescribed me them)

Ask your oh to rub the base of your back to stop the nerve from swelling.

Stretch before you get into bed

Drink at least 6 pints of water a day as dehydration makes it worse

Place a heat pack or an ice pack at the base of your spine

Sleep with your legs elevated

Hope this helps as I know how horrible it is!

Xx
  • Options
    Drinking bitter lemon or tonic water can help, just a small glass in the evening, it contains Quinine which can really help, I'm not too bad with my legs but I recommended it to a friend who was very bad and not getting much sleep at all. She started having a small can of bitter lemon each evening and said it made a huge difference, worth a go see what you think
  • Options
    Ooh I'll try the tonic water too!!!! Ha x
  • Options
    Someone said tonic water to me as well. Its horrible isnt it??

Every evening about 9pm it starts, set my clock by it!

xxx
  • Options
    Hiya, just seen this cos I'm a student Podiatrist (and mum of two!) and it caught my eye. Just a quick word of warning though about quinine! Quinine is supposed to be a huge no-no during pregnancy because it is teratogenic and can potentially cause congenital malformations or abnormalities, such as deafness or blindness, and even stillbirth. Either way, it can cross the placenta so it is best avoided without seeking advice from your MW or GP first.

Artysmam is spot on. The only thing I can add to what she has said is ask for a blood test to rule out iron, B vits (especially B12 and folic acid) potassium or magnesium deficiency as these could be potential causes. Try to avoid caffeine and try not to lie in bed too long before you go to sleep by going only when you are really tired or sleepy. My lecturer swore on bananas before bed and she had heard off loads of patients, that putting a bar of soap (under the sheets) by your feet works too, who knows?! xx
  • Options
    I find going to bed helps i think just cos i can relax properly then, but i do sympathise woke up screaming in agony the other night with cramp in calf too and OH thought it was highly hillarious! MEN!!!!