Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Travel insurance - help!

Hi all. I'm currently 9+2 and am due to go to Lanzarote when i'm nearly 6 months pregnant. Not sure im going yet, said I would never fly when pregnant, but thats another matter!! I want to know if anyone knows of any travel insurance that will cover me if I cancel!! I dont think there will be! My mother in law has paid for all the family to go and I would feel a bit mean if she had to waste some money cos I didnt go. xx

Replies

• Options
    yep theres insurance I searched for pregnancy travel insurance and found places comparing them.

I didn't buy any in the end, I'm only going to Bristol (from Glasgow) and the excess was as much as the plane ticket. I'll be 29 weeks when we come back, I was going down at 27 weeks to see my family but it's my gran-in-laws 90th the day I get to 29 weeks so we're now going to her party and travelling back a bit later. Our problem is you need a doctors note to fly after 28 weeks so I can't garantee that yet, but the train is 7 hours rather than one and ??170 each (one way) rather than ??30 for the plane.
  • Options
    No insurance is going to cover you if you just decide not to go. However if there is a medical reason (with a doctor's note) then they should cover pregnancy-related conditions, just check the small print when you buy. I went to the Carribean when 6 months pregnant with Abby and to France when 8 months with Charlie (we were meant to be going to Spain but obviously noone would fly me so we drove). TBH a holiday would probably do you the world of good, relax and have a lovely time.

H xx
  • Options
    Hi I don't know of any travel insurance that will cover you if you cancel but just make sure that your travel insurance covers you for being pregnant! I was with club direct for years but just happened to check with my last pregnancy and they said that they don't cover pregnancy if you are over 35!!!We found that Direct Line did cover me and now I am 40 and pregnant with my 4th child and we are with Barclays insurance.

I have never flown under 12 weeks but have each time past 12 weeks without any problems including to Lanzarote and Teneriefe. 6 months is a good time to fly, if I were you I would go and have a good holiday before baby arrives!! xx
  • Options
    As others have said you will most likely be asked to provide a dr's certificate when claiming for not travelling (that or a letter from the airline stating that they are refusing travel due to pregnancy). Make sure you read any small print very carefully as each policy will have certain can/can't claim for variences and hidden clauses.
  • Options
    Hi,

Some companies might cover you for pregnancy related stuff only if you weren't pregnant when you took out the policy. Taking out the policy to cover it now you are pregnant might be a different thing so check the small print carefully.

Mrs B xx