Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breastfeeding and getting organised.

Hi Ladies and bumps!

Hope eveeryone is well! Just thinking about getting organised and was wondering what the mummies to be did about milk/bottles/pumps when they were planning on BF'ing. Just thinking if I dont manage it then I'm going to have some milk and bottles in just in case.

So basically what did you all buy in when getting organised for the baby coming?

Thanks ladies

cx

Replies

• Options
    All I got was a sterilizer with 3 bottles in it and a hand pump as I was set of B-Feeding and didn't have formula as an option in my mind to be honest. I think there were days and nights where if I'd have had formula in the house I'd have thought about giving in rather than just taking things feed by feed. I'm glad I didn't get any milk in. Thing is if you're really struggling you can just go and get some, or send someone out to get some.
  • Options
    I agree, I didn't have anything in either. I felt like if I had bought some 'just in case' then I was already admitting I was going to fail. Plus, if I had of had some I might have buckled when the going got tough.

It was hard at the beginning but I'm so pleased I persevered as I ended up feeding for 14 months.

There's always a 24hrs Tesco somewhere if you get really desperate!

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    Hi there,

I did have some in just in case but never needed it. I had a hand pump but I thought it was rubbish and wish I had an electric one!

I was told that no matter what, don't put a teet in my daughters mouth if I want to breastfeed, and stupidly I listened! So when I did express and tried giving it to my daughter, she screamed. Now she's 15 months, and has only learned how to suck a bottle in the last month when I finally managed to ween her.

What I do advise is to have PLENTY OF MUSLIN! You can never have too much. Also a steriliser and a few bottles. And I do advise to try expressed milk from a bottle from very young as I think it will make it easier to ween later. I'm pregnant again now and will definitely be mixing bottle and breast, even though I probably will try not to use formula.

Hope this helps

xxx
  • Options
    I bought one bottle and a tin of formula. I was given a sterilizer but you can always just pour boiling water in/over the bottles to sterilize them if you need to at first. I would have it on hand in case. Cos in the middle of the night if you hit a snag, I promise you that you won't want to be going to Tesco to buy some! Rather be prepared.
  • Options
    I think the best way you can get organised is to buy Ina Mays guide to breastfeeding. I read this before baby came and I remembered all the advice and tips and it helped me through the first few weeks to refer to. If you decide to give up breastfeeding it won't be the sort of decision you make at 2.00am and then just pop off to tesco to buy formula. If you give up it will more than likely be a long decision making process where you will have had lots of advice and support to continue breastfeeding from your health visitor etc and plenty of time to buy anything you need. It's not the sort of choice people make suddenly as it's an important one. I'd say start as you mean to go on and just prepare and look forward to breastfeeding image .
  • Options
    I got a steriliser and a couple of bottles and a breast pump and a feeding pillow. I had a really bad night and asked hubby to go to asda and get me formula as it hurt that much (seriously watch latch!!) But he refused. So i carried on as you cant stop feeding a hungry baby! That was i think night 3 and im still bfing and shes 15 months old. If i had formula in that night i dont think id have carried on. Its just too easy to stop when youre in pain. So i disagree with foxinsocks! I even phoned the hospital for advice and they just said i was doing everything right, keep going.
  • Options
    Hi i planned to bf my 2nd daughter and i did for 3 weeks ntil 3am one morning and we were both in tears so i got up and made a bottle of formula! i had in a steriliser and bottles but hospital gave me 2 of their premade bottles incase i changed my mind (i openly told them i didnt bf my eldest and had no desire to!) .

i did wish for a very long time after that i didnt give up so maybe not having it in the house i wouldnt have given up :S

xx
  • Options
    Oh yes I read Jo Frost's book Confident baby care, and it was great. I would refer back to it too checking on her advice for feeds etc I found it really helped me stay confident and strong even at those very difficult times like growth spurts when I'd be in tears through sheer exhaustion.
  • Options
    This is also a brilliant book with loads of practical advice and kept me going at 3am when DD was 3 weeks and I was wondering if she was ever going to stop feeding!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Love-Formula-Successful-Breastfeeding/dp/0954930959/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308822102&sr=8-2

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    Hmm tricky one, I had steriliser with a couple of bottle and hand pump in case. I did buy a couple of cartons just in case but as it turned out ds wouldn't latch on so at 3 in the morning one night I was setting up steriliser and washing bottles to put my expressed milk in as he was too drowsy (from lack of nutrition) to syringe feed. The midwife then said I needed to start giving formula top ups but oh got sent out to buy aptimel cartons as I'd bought SMA and my lovely m/w said aptimel was mug better for mix feeding x
  • Options
    I just got a pack of 3 bottles and we still have a steriliser from DS1. Didn't get formula as I can always pick some up if I really need it and it won't be there to tempt me then!

Also don't forget nipple shields just in case you have pain in the first few days, Medela sized ones are amazing, nice and soft and fit your nipple. And Lanisnoh cream too, essential in the early days. Good luck! x
  • Options
    I bought bottles and sterilizer, just in case breastfeeding doesn't work out. My friend is giving me her breast pump. I am so happy. image
  • Options
    Just keep an open mind, consider the possibility that breastfeeding might be easy and rewarding, it is for lots of women!
  • Options
    We have been bought bottles as a gift but don't plan to buy formula at all. I know that if its in the house then I will use it. If it comes to it, Tesco is only down the road x
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies. Ended up getting a couple of bottles and bought 1 tin of formula. My husband works abroad and I dont drive and dont live in close reach of shops so felt I did have to cover all bases! Very keen to try the breastfeeding still and have a good friend that is a breastfeeding support worker so she will spend some time with us!

thanks again ladies

cx