Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone diagnosed with a Systolic heart murmur in pg?

Hey ladies, Just back from my doc app quite upset. He said he detected a systolic heart murmur and I need a heart scan. He said for me not to worry but I cant help but worry. He said is can be common but wants to get a scan incase its not that. I asked what it would mean for the baby but he said it does not effect the baby its more how it effects me.

Anyone shed any light? xx

Replies

• Options
    hi

my doctor detected a heart murmour, before i was pregnant,

and sent me for a heart scan and had to wear a 24 ecg machine.

Mu scan showed that my mitral valve doesnt close fully but because its so slight that they arent doing anything else unless i develop further symptoms.

The scan lady said if you scanned the population you would find lots of people with a murmour to some extend.

try not to worry, its quite common and i am sure you will be fine. the main thing is they are looking after you x
  • Options
    Oh thanks for the reply xx
  • Options
    Not a heart murmer but my sister was diagnosed with a hole in her heart after her first pregnancy when she had a stroke. When she was pregnant with her second she had to inject claxine daily to thin her blood to prevent a stroke and was under CLC but as the other lady said above it was more about risk of pregnancy to her than the baby. It is the additiona strain the pregnancy places on your heart that can be problematic. They are fantastic though hun and it is better they have spotted than not. The care my sister got with her second pregnancy was fantastic, plus she got lots of extra scans which has to be a bonus! Hope its ok for you x