Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

O.B.E.M usa

Has anyone else been watching this? I love our version and intrigued with USA o.b.e.m. It's really interesting how different we seem to them when it comes to labour. Over here the majority of midwives encourage movement and different positions to help the labour and pain and don't just offer out epidurals but so far on the USA series the women are all still on the bed with epidurals.

Xx

Replies

• Options
    What is this?
  • Options
    I havent seen it yet, wanted to watch it lastnight with my OH, but he wasnt having any of it saying 'Ive already watched one and you dont even want me down near that end, so why do I have to watch some random woman giving birth' haha. I find it weird that the americans seem to allow their families in the labour room with them. I love my family but the last thing I want is for my dad and brother to watch me give birth haha xxx
  • Options
    It is strange. I much prefer our version of OBEM but have watched a couple of USA ones to see what they're like.

It seems to be so different, like when the midwife said last night that she wanted gravity to help. I thought she was going to get the girl to kneel up to push, but actually she just made her sit upright for 45 minutes and then reclined the bed again for pushing!

I am also uncomfortable with them having all their family there, I could understand with the younger girl but the lady having a c-section I really felt sorry for. I would hate if 10 people came to hang around while I was having my baby. I sort of feel it's a special time for me & oh to meet our baby before anyone else muscles in but perhaps I'm selfish lol! :lol:
  • Options
    I agree on the family thing, each to their own but I want it just me & OH. I don't like the over dramatic music on the programme!
  • Options
    I didn't even want anyone knowing I was in labour!

Its a very medical affair in america and midwives have not been popular there.
  • Options
    I hated watching it! They seem to have women on a conveyor belt, loads were given sytocin rather than labouring naturally, well sytocin does make for a more intense labour with more of a need for an epidural but they don't seem to let many of them let nature take it's course! Labour is such a natural primal thing and in many cases your body tells you what you need to do, I'd hate to have that all masked, it makes it a 'procedure' rather than an 'experience'! To me labour was a rite of passage and although it was painful as hell I was thankful my body did most of the work! They are making women like an epidural is really what is called for in labour! I'm not against them but I think if everyone has one it just takes away the spontaneity of labour which is actually what it's all about! xxx
  • Options
    I love the UK version and was really excited to watch the USA one. I only managed the first 20 minutes and had to turn it off, because they were annoying me so much!

As others have said, it was such a conveyor belt and the midwives seemed to be of the impression that if you didn't want an epidural there was something wrong with you.

Don't think i'll be watching it again.