Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Myths about 2nd pregnancies

Ok, lets dispel some of these myths surrounding 2nd pregnancies.

1. 2nd pregnancies are less likely to go past due date, sadly not true baby will still come when they are ready be it early/ontime/overdue.

2. 2nd babies will always weigh more than 1st, again not true my 1st weighed 9lbs my 2nd weighed 7lb12.

3. If you go into spontaneous labour first time around you will again. Not necessarily though I did with both of mine (coincidentally both times just before I was due to be induced).

4. If you had a vaginal birth 1st time around your 2nd labour will be faster and easier. The early stages alas can drag out just as long but you should notice that the pushing stage is a lot faster.

Replies

• Options
    this pregnancy is the total opposite of my first! im even carrying differently.

i am kinda hoping for a similar weight (6.6) and a good labour again.

although i do get miffed when people say it must be a boy due to the differences, i think pregnancies are different due to the nature of it being a different baby!
  • Options
    first pregnany went to 35wks

second pregnancy (twins) got to 31wks

DS1 6lb 13oz

twins both over 4lb each,so combined then yes they weigh more than DS1 lol

first pregnancy-hospital popped my waters at 35wks as my hind waters were leaking and i was already 3-4cm dialated,second pregnancy,my waters just went

first pregnancy labour was just 4 1/2 hours just on gas and air

second pregnancy,from start to finish,it was 6 1/2 hours,i had the epidural,i really think this slowed the labour down
  • Options
    i carried different with both of mine, craved sweeet foods with first, salty potatos with 2nd and both were girls, with my 1st i didnt notice i was pregnant til almost 8 weeks and had only spd,with 2nd i was sick as a dog at 5 weeks and very poorly from 30weeks onwards and needed admitting 3 times to hospital, so the pregnancies being different has no effect on by the sex of the child.
  • Options
    1. 2nd pregnancies are less likely to go past due date, my first was 8 days early and second 2 days late!

2. 2nd babies will always weigh more than 1st, true for me, first was 7lbs5 and second 7lbs14

3. If you go into spontaneous labour first time around you will again. did with first and had 2 sweeps with second

4. If you had a vaginal birth 1st time around your 2nd labour will be faster and easier. both em sections so no idea on this one although second was more painful!