Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question about Raspberry leaf tea

Hi ladies,im 35weeks tomorrow and booked to go in for an induction at 39weeks due to being late with my dd which i think added to the complications i had during the birth.Anyway the reason for my post is i dont know much about raspberry leaf tea but have heard of women drinking the tea or taking the tablets as its thought to help during the labour and even bring on labour,is this true?If so i would like to try it as id love to go into labour on my own instead of being induced,would anyone reccomend it?If so which is best the tea or the tablets & when can you start taking it?Any other tips on how to bring labour on myself would be appreciated,although i was also induced with dd as she was 10 days late and i tried pretty lots of things that are supposed to help but obvioulsy none of them did as she didnt want to budge lol!Im willing to try again though so any replys will be much appreciated thanks image xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi!

RLT will not bring labour on, what it is meant to help with is speeding up the second stage - making the contractions more efficient & hopefully speeding things up.

I drank a cup a day from 32 weeks, increasing to 2 cups @ 34 weeks, 3 @ 36 & then 4 (!) @ 38 weeks. ( http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/raspberryteaeaselabourexpert/ ). I will be doing the same this time round.

I had a labour of just under 7 hrs, no complications, G&A for the pushing stage & was out of hospital the same day. I also walked & swam lots which I think probably was more important in having a quick labour. I went into labour at 39+4, the day before we'd walked 4 miles, I'd bounced on my ball all evening, watched a very funny programme on tv & ate two whole pineapples!

Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi hub, with ds I took the tablets (from holland and barrette)- couldn't bring myself to drink the tea although I read it was meant to be more effective. I think you're 'allowed' to start either from 34 weeks and build up the number of cups/tablets a day. I started at 35 or 36 weeks and can't actually remember how many I took (sorry not being much help here) but ds arrived at 38+5 so maybe they did help. I figure there's no harm in trying? Good luck x
  • Options
    Thankyou for youre replys ladies image i think i will buy the tea and try it,wheres best to buy it from can you get it most places?Ruth77uk i think the the gym balls are good as i bounced on one with dd and got off to go the toilet my waters broke so im going to try that again as im sure it helped.Will try some long walks aswell.. xx
  • Options
    Everything's worth a try when you get near to the end! I got my RLT from holland & Barrett. I also bathed in clary sage daily & made it into a bump rub! Desperate times!! X
  • Options
    Yeh thats what i thought if i can try anything that might help with the labour or bring it on so that i dont need to be induced..i bought the tea bags today from holland & barret however havent starting drinking it yet as after looking online earlier today i read a comment saying you shouldnt take it if youre being induced?Im now confused as to whether its ok as im booked for an induction at 39wks?I dont really see how it would be harmfull but obviously i dont want to take any risks..ive lost my mw's number and not seeing her untill next week!What do you think?x
  • Options
    Eeek, have no clue hun, wouldn't like to say. Sorry I can't help. I would get bouncing, scrubbing floors on your hands & knees, going up & downstairs etc, all the old wives tales - you never know! Obvioysly not until 37 weeks! If what you are looking for is something to bring on labour RLT won't work, it'll just speed up the second stage so it might not be a big loss...

Sorry I can't help & good luck!!!!

Xx
  • Options
    Ok thanks anyway image i'll be trying everything lol will have to start going on some big walks although not too keen on the idea in this weather!haha xx
  • Options
    I took the tablets but it did nothing, even induction didn't work and I had to havea c section to get her out! I had tried everything, a 2 hour walk the previous week, curries, couple of glasses of cider, sex...nothing worked!