Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ibuprofen gel

I had my bloods taken at the dr yesterday and because I'm a wimp I put some ibuprofen cream on my arm to numb it a bit for the needle. I'm sure a dr said to me a while back when I was ttc that it is ok to use the gel when p/g but not the tablets. Does anyone know if this is right? Hopefully I haven't done any harm!!

Replies

• Options
    I'm sure you won't have done any harm hun. But my dr has told me not to use it. I am sure though that as a one-off you won't have done any harm at all. Give your MW or antenatal a call if you are worried though xx
  • Options
    Hey, am sure its no harm like Ruth said but I think anything with ibuprofen or aspirin is a no no in pregnancy so would maybe not sure it again.
  • Options
    Don't worry it's fine. You would've used a tiny amount and of that tiny amount an even tinier amount would have actually got through your skin and into your blood stream and by the time you blood had been filtered by your liver a practically non-existent amount would've reached your baby.

I had severe back pain in early pregnancy and my GP said it was fine to use Ibuprofen Gel occasionally but to be sparing and not slap it on everywhere all the time. He also says that a one off dose of Ibuprofen tablets are fine it's the regular use that is to be avoided, but I didn't feel comfortable taking them so stuck to the paracetamol.

So, no you haven't done any harm at all, but I wouldn't bother using it again as it won't have any pain reducing effect on your skin for a blood test. You'd be better off using something with a local anaesthetic in it if you really need to - something designed for mouth ulcer pain relief or even baby teething gel.

HTH

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    The amount absorbed through the gel is less dosage than taking a tablet but still use sparingly. Paracetamol is the main advised pain relief. I too dislike needles (one of my many phobias) but have always found I'm ok if lying down whilst they're done (and if you're rhesus neg and need anti d ask if it can go into your bum rather than your thigh, it hurts less)
  • Options

i have had terrible back pain the past two weeks - went to my gp this morning who has prescibed me ibuprofen gel to tide me over until i get to the physio - however, on the box. it says not to use if ur over 6 months pregnant. i am 28 weeks pregnant