Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Needles

Hi ladies

Needles had never ever bothered me until my first pregnancy. We all know that we have to have blood taken numerous times when pregnant and I was fine with this. Fine until my stupid body wouldn't give up a single drop of blood. Nobody has ever managed to get blood from me first time. My first pregnancy bloods took 4 people and 14 attempts to get blood. It was very painful and I was so bruised afterwards. This is the same every time I have bloods done.

Now in my second pregnancy and nearly 12 weeks and still not had bloods done because nobody can get it again. Have to go to day assessment when I go for my scan next week to see if they can get it.

Anyway I am ment to be having my flu jab today and the thought of the needle is really scaring me. Does anyone have any tips on relaxing and not freaking out while I am there?

Replies

• Options
    Did u have quite low bp last pg? i only ask as i did and also had problens getting blood taken. there was just nothing giving! id say when u have needle today just close your eyes and practice labour breathing!! also dont forget all u have to do is be there to take an injection, its not as though its going to fail like your blood tests. dont know if thats any help but didnt want to r&r xx
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply

Yes I had very vey low blood pressure last pregnancy and was signed off work for a lot of the first 20 weeks because I literally couldn't stand up or I would pass out.

You make a good point about it being an injection this time so should just be in and out. I will try and remember that

Thank you
  • Options
    Wow, that doesn't sound like fun

Would getting your sugar up make a difference? Have a fizzy drink or a chocolate bar before? I really don't know but it may be worth a try x
  • Options
    good luck and after the injection u should treat yourself to something yummy and sweet! low bp does cause havoc with blood tests though-i had to lie down for mine! sitting round waiting makes it worse though cos your heart rate is slow too! your experience does sound much worse than mine. ask at hospital if anyone has worked in paedeatrics that can help as often they r v v good blood takers due to nature of getting it out of children xxx
  • Options
    The alternative is to get them to call in an anethestist - worth considering asking for if needed. I've had the same issues this pregnancy - mainly with Glucose tolerance testing. Think it was 6 attempts first go and then a further 6 on the 2nd one 2 hrs later which was why the paged someone in to do it. He finally managed to get some out of my hand - and like you left me rather bruised and sore.

Second GTT was yesterday and still took 3 attempts second time.

For the flu jab just remember that they don't need to find a vein - only a muscle/bit of fat which is a lot easier :lol: If needed, don't watch and keep the promise of a treat of chocolate or similar in your mind for afterwards. Deep breathe too.

Hope it goes OK.

xx