Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nuchal test postcode lottery

Ive got my first appointment with the midwife next week. One of the things I want to ask her about it screening tests. But yesterday when I looked online at what was available in my local area I was horrified to find out that I won't get any type of scan until I reach 20 weeks and that they only do the triple test which is only 60 % accurate compared to 80 to 90 % for the combined test. So by that time if it shows up as a high risk it will be too late for me to have a cvs test. So I am going to have to pay to have it done privately. Sorry for venting. I am feeling quite angry about this

Replies

• Options
    Hi

I am not surprised you feel this way, there aren't many local authorities that don't do the nuchal test and dating scan, write to your MP too. Check if they test your bloods at all
  • Options
    You might find when you go that the online info is out of date? My hospital do offer the 12 week and 20 week scan and I was just offered another at 32 which has just been introduced there - took me by surprise!

If not you could try insisting and state medical evidence for having it (such as the % stats) or absolute worst case have a private scan (usually less than ??100 and take it up with your MP. Your health and the health of your bump is way more important.

Good luck...

CeeLou xx
  • Options
    it does seem crazy that depending on where you live you receive different screening on the NHS I had my first baby in Cardiff and didnt have the nuchal screening on the NHS so opted for it privately, but having 2nd baby and now living in worcester and its included in your care on the NHS. Must say when in cardiff the private was amazing as the nhs hospitals are particularly busy etc. but here in worcester going nhs seems just as good as the private care, have been really impressed.It helped put our minds at ease both time, more so we were as fully informed as we could do as still not a definite answer good luck Luc x
  • Options
    They do NT testing now at 12 weeks here but never used to. So when I had my son I just had my blood tested (either triple or quad test) which still gives you a risk indicator. Maybe at your 12 week scan you could ask the sonographer what the NT measurement is as I was told at mine that they always measure the fold size even if they don't use it as an indicator (although theymay well not tell you). I THINK that less than 3.5mm indicates low risk but I also got told that the risk should be worked out in conjunction with your blood results.

Sorry, not sure if this makes any sense...pregnancy brain :roll: