Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

formula food...which one?

Hi,i`m 20 weeks pregnant and i`m trying to figur out what is best for my baby...

I`m willing to brestfeed as long as a can but i also know that i should expect surprises.I don`t approve artificial and packed food and espesially for babys and children...please if sombody can recomend a brand that is most natural,bio based and espesially free of any gen-modifficiared increditants...

I`m may be a freacking-out first time mother...but ,please help! :?

Replies

• Options
    tbh with you i dont know of any formula which is natural?? there are of course soya based formulas but these are not recommended,my daghter had a milk allergy and still soya based formula is not recommended.

hopefully the breast feeding will work out for you but if it doesnt, dont beat yourself up,your baby will be better on normal baby formula (sma,cow and gate etc)which is guided by your gp/health visitor than on a formula which wont meet babies nutritional needs.

xx
  • Options
    I think aptimel is meant to be best for mixed feeding. I managed to express with my daughter to keep her going and recommend a good electric pump if you want to try that. My son was also dairy/soya intolerant (still is) and wish I had been able to BF longer as I blame early introduction of cows milk protein for some of his reflux issues.

Baby formulas are not "natural" but then neither are painkillers, antibiotics or living past 50. They have been very carefully designed to have exactly the right nutritional balance for a growing baby. Although I am very pro-BF sometimes formula is the way to go.

Good luck,

H xx
  • Options
    hi ladybug

the only natural food you can give your bubba is breast milk. I agree with the other ladies there is a place for formula but you want to breast feed, and it sounds like you are really concerned that your child gets the best, so don't worry about types of formula at only 20 weeks pregnant.

Breast feeding is wonderful and not always as difficult as people imagine if they're aware of all the facts of how it may play out - eg bf babies need to feed LOTS in the beginning and this is vital to milk coming in, it's also very important babies are latched on correctly to avoid soreness and encourage milk production etc. You are best throwing yourself into finding out about bf (NCT classes, lactation consultants or peer supporters at childrens centres, midwife) and getting the support in the early days when LO arrives (do you have a birth centre you can transfer to for early support in the first few days?) if worst comes to worst and breast feeding isnt working - supermarkets are open 24 hours a day. I understand the need to be prepared but having formula in can be a temptation when you're tired and it sounds like you want to bf so i would give it your best shot and worry about formula if its a bridge you need to cross.

i work helping women to breast and bottle feed their babies and there is no real difference in what would be recommended as far as formula goes - some is based on cows milk, some goats milk, some soya but iwantanotherpls says its best to stick to mainstream cows formula unless your LO has an allergy or needs something alternate. They are not rarer because they are better, its just that some children can't tolerate cows milk x
  • Options
    I used aptimal with dd and it was unoffically recommended by the midwife who delivered my dd, hope this helps xxx
  • Options
    My little girl was born 10 weeks early and was in SCBU for 8 weeks. The scbu staff recommended Aptamil, saying it's the formula most like breast milk. Thankfully, I managed to breastfeed, and she didn't go onto Aptamil until I was short of milk. image
  • Options
    hi ladies,

thanks to everybody,i feel a little bit beter now,at least i have some info from other expierenced mothers image that will help a lot to make a choice when it is time...

i probably sound a little stupid ... you`ll get a lot more questions from me.see my mother lives on 3000km from me and i dont have any friends with children...i can trust my midwife but i allways like to hear as many opinions as possible,it gives far more possibility for a good choiceimage