Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What should you expect at 6 week scan?

Hi all, first time posting on here and just needed some advice. I'm almost 6 weeks pregnant (first time) and have had a bit of a bumpy road so far. I had early spotting and cramping, and they diagnosed an ectopic which 3 people confirmed on my first scan. They recommended a laparoscopy to remove the pregnancy, which they did within 4 hours of the diagnosis - but when they looked inside they could no longer see the ectopic so told us it was a PUL instead (pregnancy of unknown location). Since then I've been having 48 hourly HCG tests which started off rising slowly, and now see to be doubling at the right points at last. I also has another scan at just over 5 weeks which showed an empty gestational sack in my uterus. So, it's no longer a PUL, but due to the bleeding etc, they're still not sure it's viable and said they'd have expected to see a yolk sack at that stage. I have another scan on Thurs and I'm wondering what we should expect to see if there's any hope of this pregnancy being ok? I can't help feeling optimistic after being told 100% that it was ectopic, and then being given another chance, but obviously worried about getting our hopes up after everything we've been though already.

If anyone has been in a similar situation or can offer any advice, it would be really appreciated. Thanks everyone x

Replies

• Options
    What a difficult time you are going through!

I get early scans during my pregnancies as I have had an ectopic pregnancy and lost a tube, so they don't want to risk me losing the other

With my daughter, my first scan was at 4+6 (dates based on my next scan when embryo was actually visible). A gestational sac was visible and that was all. And it was teeny weeny- 2.5 x 2.4 x 1.8mm. Two weeks later at 6+6 a blob with a flickering heartbeat was clearly visible. I had an internal scan the first time, the second time everything was visible transabdominally

With my current pregnancy I had a scan at 6+5 (based on current dates- they didn't date me at the scan as the embryo was too small to measure) and again it was transabdominal, with a little flickering heartbeat

Best of luck x