Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hair dye

Has anyone dyed their hair?

If they havent been to the hairdressors, what have you used? Is it safe or are you not worried?

Thanks

getting greyer!! lol

Replies

• Options
    I waited til after 3 months and used a castings semi permanent. I left it on for only the time it stated as usually leave it longer. Xx
  • Options
    there isnt anything wrong with dying your hair when pregnant, if you are planning on using a different one from normal then make sure to do a patch test 24hrs before incase of a reaction. i dye my hair with a permenant and have had no side effects x
  • Options
    thanks girls will do it in a few wks then.

d x
  • Options
    I have dyed my hair about every 6 weeks throughout my pregnancy and not had any problems, I use a permenant dark brown. I have stuck to the same product I used before and all seems fine.

Think the only issue is that your skin can be more sensitive, so if you're worried do a patch test.
  • Options
    I read that its not ideal, as there are some nasty chemicals involved. The article advised that highlights/low lights were better, as the dye doesn't come into contact with your skin as much.

I've avoided it and just going to go natural for a while!
  • Options
    hi, my sister is a hairdresser and have a few friends..after asking them they said u do need to be alittle careful with hair dyes. your skin is more sensitive when pregnant so alittle more likely to react. they always advise a strand test to check for reactions. allergic reactions to hair dyes can be serious. one of my friends whos a hairdresser had her hair done while pregnant and ended up reacting and going to hospital..

prob best to see a hairdresser rather than box dye and inform them u are pregnant. sure all will be fine but just need to go steady x
  • Options
    I have my hair dyed (with foils) and haven't had a problem. I did wait until I was 12 weeks though even though my hairdresser said it was fine x