Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cold sores

Hi all,

I can feel a cold sore coming on - yuck.

I can't remember if I can use Zovirax or not during pg? I have looked at the Zovirax website and it's not conclusive.

Has anyone been advised by their mw/doc?

I'm almost 6 weeks

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I had the most horedndous coldsore last week (I was 15 weeks at the time). I asked the pharmacist and she said no to Zovirax but to try Compeed patches. I then went to the doc for something completely unrelated and she took one look at my face / nose and said use Zovirax (it was a nasty coldsore and I hadn't used anything for it which made it 10 times worse) - in fact she prescribed zovirax. She looked it up in her book and said it just hadn't been tested and that there was no evidence either way. I was and am (think I am getting another) a bit nervous using it but I am using it very sparingly. She said the amount I use will be so small it'd be insignificant to baby.... I hope she's right!

I hope that helps a bit. Cold sores are so painful and nasty and I hope yours clears up soon

image. Good luck.

Take care

xx
  • Options
    I used the patches on my lip which seemed fine. Cold sores are awful at any time, but even more so if you can't even put anything on it to clear it up!

Hope yours gets better soon.