Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Antibiotics

Hi all.

Have any of you reading this taken amoxicillin while you were pregnant? My dr says its safe to use in pregnancy and prescribed me a strong dose today. The leaflet says not to take it if you're pregnant so I called my friend who is a pharmacist. She has said its considered safe because there have been no reports of it harming babies and that they only say not to use it to cover themselves as it hasn't been officially tested on expectant mothers (as obviously this would not be ethical). She said she would take it because its safer than letting the infection spread to bubs.

Would you ladies take it? Or not? I'm just worried either way now 

Replies

• Options

I got a splinter in my finger a coupleof weeks ago that got infected, i went to the doctors and they put a bandage on to draw it out (it was massive and all the way through my finger nearly) and prescribed the amoxocilin, I was a bit dubious about taking it and decided to leave it for a couple of days, the splinter came out and my finger has healed so I haven't taken them. I know it doesn't really help you but I understand your concern.

What you have to decide and maybe speak to the doctor again about this: do you really need them? Will the infection clear up on it's own? chances are taking the antibotics are safer that potential blood poisioning or septicimia. If you are going to need to take them then you need to do it sooner rather than later as they will be more effective and it will be less likely for you to need a second dose.

• Options
    I was on antibiotics for a uti and I have a few mummy friends who all had to take antibiotics whilst pregnant. You can always ask for reassurance. I think that different antibiotics treat different things.
  • Options

This might not help but i'm currently on antibiotics for a uti, and when i went to the doctor i said to him i'd prefer not to take amoxycillin as it tends to give me thrush (sorry tmi!) and he actually said he wouldn't give me those anyway as i'm pregnant. I am in early pregnancy though, so not sure if that makes a difference in the prescription. The ones i'm on also say not to take in pregnancy though so who knows?

• Options

Thanks for your help ladies. I have been taking them for now as I have had the infection for weeks and its been getting worse. Before he gave me them he did ask how many weeks I was. Maybe all antibiotics say it. x